Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

savage 12vf ?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:02 PM

Default savage 12vf ?

hi, i am looking at buying a soild bolt action rifle for varmints and overall fun. i know for sure i will get it in.223. i been leaning toward getting a savage 12vf. iam drawn tothe accu-trigger and 26" barrel. it seems like a good rifle for the money.
anyone have good or bad experiences with this rifle? what scope (that does not cost more than the rifle) is the best for it?
i know that all guns like certain ammo the best, i was wanting to buy the white box (winchester) in 55gr at wally world--nice cheap ammo, is this ammo good for this rifle? thanks for the help

or...does anyone know of a comparable rifle (price and barrel) that is betterthan this rifle. thanks again
Old 02-10-2006, 02:15 PM

Default RE: savage 12vf ?

The savage is probly the best gun for the money!!!! Darn near custom made! You'll just need to feed different rounds thru it, to find the "right" one.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Mr. Bowhunt/Fish

hi, i am looking at buying a soild bolt action rifle for varmints and overall fun. i know for sure i will get it in.223. i been leaning toward getting a savage 12vf. iam drawn tothe accu-trigger and 26" barrel. it seems like a good rifle for the money.
anyone have good or bad experiences with this rifle? what scope (that does not cost more than the rifle) is the best for it?
i know that all guns like certain ammo the best, i was wanting to buy the white box (winchester) in 55gr at wally world--nice cheap ammo, is this ammo good for this rifle? thanks for the help

or...does anyone know of a comparable rifle (price and barrel) that is betterthan this rifle. thanks again
Just bought this gun in .243 ,put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on it and can't be happier.Love the trigger. Have a older 110 in 30.06 without the accu trigger and a night and difference. Good gun for the money,but I like the Savage's. Get's the job done.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:17 PM

thanks for the replies so far---keep em coming please.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

I've got an older model Savage single shot in .220 swift. Floated the barrel, had the action bedded shot this group, then had the barrel lapped and added a new trigger. 53 grain HPBT match bullets backed up by some H380...can't remember the weight...got it logged in my book.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just bought one in 270 WSM. The accu-trigger and 26 inch barrel sold me on this one. Have not fired it yet.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:42 PM

I bought mine the year before the accutriger came out. It shoots fair with what I call generic ammo, you know millspec stuff like win. and rem. sell. But if I want it to shoot real good I have to feed it from my reloading bench. the difference will usually be 1 to 1.5 moa for generic to .25 to .50 moa for reloads. Good brass and good bullets are very important. I doubt you can buy even a high dollar custom rifle that will dependably out shoot the savage,it's that good! As for your scope, mine is a weaver v24 at a little over 300.00, all the scope I'll ever need ,it stays pretty clear even at 24x and holds zero . This gun loves match bullets has a 1 in 9 twist and will shoot 69gr and lighter bullets equally well. I havn't found a sierra bullet that it won't shoot great, except for their blitz bullets which some will blow up because of too high rotation speed.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:23 PM

The savage rifles are great i have a model 12 FVSS in 223 with a tasco 10-40x50mm scope and with white box winchester 45 gr. ammo it shoots along around half moa, with handloaded ammo with match bullets and cases it groups around or under .25 moa. thats not bad for the price $660 for the rifle and under $200 for the scope. And also a shooting buddy just bought a rifle the same as the one that your looking at, but in .308 and it shoots under an inch with remington corelokt bullets.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:52 PM

well, i finally did it, i got a savage FVSS in .223. i am fired up!! thanks to all that have replied.
now i have to consider: what is the correct procedure to "break in" the barrel properly? where can i get an affordable, butgood1 piece cleaning rod? thanks

Old 02-21-2006, 04:38 PM

Congrats on your new rifle ! i think i should point this out to you. if you use a scope that requires a high mount/base combo your head will almost be raised all the way off the stock because of the lack of a cheek peice. other than that it will make a great gun for any purpose the 223 can preform. mine shoots .25 moa with handloads at 100 yards, i hope your rifle shoots just as good or better.

Quick Reply: savage 12vf ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.