Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

savage 12vf ?

Old 02-21-2006, 09:55 PM

Default RE: savage 12vf ?

bigmatty65,
that's good to know, i ordered high rings because i will use a bushnell elite 3200 5-15x50mm scope for this rifle. i guess i will have to change out stocks. that's OK because i was going to do that ASAP anyway...tomorrow actually. i am looking at the Boyds' target/varmint stock. it has a roll over cheek piece and overallthe whole stocklooks real sharp.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 PM

Dont tease me mr bowhunt/fish. i can drool loooking at boyds stocks and thinking about a jewl comp. trigger for my rifle. its not a big deal about the comb, but i use my rifle mainly for informal benchrest shooting.also those bushnell scopes are probably the clearist scops i have ever looked through. have a good time with your new gun.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 PM

If you change stocks isn't that going to mess with your dual pillar bedding. I think I would consider maybe just adding a raised cheekpiece pad to my existing stock untill I could see how it will shoot. If you change stocks will you need to rebed the thing. Tread slowly rember ( haste makes waste ).
Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 PM

fornra,
ask anyone who owns a savage 12fv or in my case a 12fvss and they will tell you that the plastic syn stock that comes with it is cheaply made and flemsy in the forend area---not good for consistant long range accuracy. i was going to replace the stock ANYWAY, just a little sooner than expected and if it's for accuracy's sake, i'm cool with that.

bigmatty65,
i ended up getting the Varmint Thumbhole stock in pepper laminate from Boyds'. it just looks cool and i like the way the forend has cut-out vents on the sides to aid in cooling the barrel. here is what it looks like:
http://www.boydboys.com/Images/Parts/403-140.jpg the pic gives you a good idea, although it is not completely finished.
you can buy them directly from boyds'-however, they are not finished, you have to do that yourself. if you want to buy a completely finished stock (savage) you need to call boyds' and they will tell you to buy one from one of their distrubitors. come on....get one , you know you want too!!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:15 PM

I think i have to agree with mr bowhunt/fish about prettymuch every thing he said. the barrel on these guns are enormous and the forearm tip is just a little sliver of black plastic. and trust me if it didnt cut into my pocket so much id have already bought a boyds stock, plus i dont think theres a canadian distributer anyway. and also i dont want to go messing with that wonderful pillar bedding mention by forna. when you get out to shoot that bueaty take some pics and post em id love to see my future rifle lol. try some black hills match ammo, iHAD a box that would do about 1 hole at 100 yards, i didnt shoot a 1 hole group with it but i had2 5 shot groups around 1/4 inch and one of the real serious benchresters at my club tried a group with it out of my gun and shot 5 into a group that looked like someone poked a pencilthrough the target.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:27 PM

bigmatty65 and fornra,
one more thing you need to know about going from syn to wood with the savagesis you will have to buy some longer set actionscrews. boyds' sells them or you can get them from savage.

bigmatty65,
you are not the first to tell me to shoot black hills ammo out of my 12fvss.
what grain and bullet typedid you use? was it remanufactored or new ammo? i am considering getting some reman 52gr HP match from BH. if not, i will shoot the win usa 45gr HP from wally world.would the 52gr be better in windy conditions or it would be the same as the 45gr?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:35 PM

To be honest with ya i dont remember a thing about the ammo, i got it in a trade for 5 dollar pocket knife lol. its a shame too cause i want a case of that ammo now. i dont think the wind drift would be a big difference between the 45gr and 52 grain for any practical purposes. what is this wally world placesome of the guys talk about on here ? ive never heard of it before.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM

i hope your joking... if not, wally word means wal-mart.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:09 PM

Hey you guys my savage has the heavy laminated target stock, I didn't realize you were getting the plastic one. But i've got one in 308 tactial and it's not brought me any grief, and Idon't need wheels under it either. But I don't blame you for customizing your guns that gives them personality. Speaking of customizing have any of you tried the Wild West trigger for Marlin lever guns, I love mine 3 lbs crisp and no trigger flop, no gunsmithing! Available from www.midwayusa.com.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

what is this wally world placesome of the guys talk about on here ? ive never heard of it before

. wal-mart

Quick Reply: savage 12vf ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.