Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.44 v. .45

Old 02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .44 v. .45

For 45 Colt fans, Buffalo Bore has standard pressure 45 Colts loaded to a bit over 500 foot pounds. They also list ballistics for a few different pistols. They state that the load is safe for post war 45 revolvers.

The only malfunction I ever had with a M1911 45 auto was one round of semi wadcutter in thousands of rounds.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Once everything is right, a semi auto should never malfunction. Limp wristing them is about the only thuing that should ever cause a malfuntion if you are using good ammo and the pistol has been tuned to work well. My last 1911 went 5000 Plus rounds and never malfunctioned. I sold it at that point but not for any reason except that I quit competition shooting and the gun was worth to darn much to keep in a drawer. I now carry a Ruger 45 Auto and I don't expect that it will ever malfunction as I have never had one do so.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:10 PM

If you handload and you have a ruger revolver either round should make great bear medicine, the 45 LC can safely be loaded to the level of the 44 mag. or even slightly more though you should always refure to a more recent reloading manual . I suggest a newer manual because components tend to change over time. But the edge remains with the 44 mag since you can buy ammo off the shelf and just go huntin!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:31 PM

I've just noticed that it seems this discussion has turned toward the 45 acp round.My opinion is if you want a 45 auto just buy a Glock,that goes for the .40 and the 9mm also. then when you want it to go bang it will and do it every time, without spending 1000.00 or more trying to turn it into a gun you can depend on.I know that this will be offensive to some of you but so be it. I have a nephew who is a Harris co. deputy in Houston Tx. and he swears by colt 1911's and has a good selection of them,they have been tricked and tuned by all manner of gunsmith and he bringes them here to Alabama every summer and the only guns that don't jam are my two Glocks. Of coarse I here all the usual excuses like this is just cheep plinking ammo and it doesn't jam with duty ammo but after enough summers I just say B.S.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Either a .44 Mag. or a .45 Colt loaded with semiwadcutter or LBT hard lead bullets to a velocity of 1200 FPS or more will do the trick. The only viable shot to protect yourself from a bear attack is to hit it on the end of the nose so that the bullet travels up the nasal passage into the brain! (Even a 230-grain GI hardball round from a .45 ACP will kill a bear, if you shoot it on the end of the nose while it is coming toward you!) If the shot goes high, it can glance off the sloped skull bone and fly right over El Oso's back!

One of my NCO's at Ft. Wainwright AK killed an 8-foot coastal brown bear with such a shot using a factory-loaded .357 Magnum with 158-grain SWC Keith-style bullets-one shot up the nose!

However, unless you have nerves of steel, and can be at close proximity to such a critter without panicking and place your shot exactly, you're probably better off to hold your fire!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I've just noticed that it seems this discussion has turned toward the 45 acp round.My opinion is if you want a 45 auto just buy a Glock,that goes for the .40 and the 9mm also. then when you want it to go bang it will and do it every time, without spending 1000.00 or more trying to turn it into a gun you can depend on.I know that this will be offensive to some of you but so be it. I have a nephew who is a Harris co. deputy in Houston Tx. and he swears by colt 1911's and has a good selection of them,they have been tricked and tuned by all manner of gunsmith and he bringes them here to Alabama every summer and the only guns that don't jam are my two Glocks. Of coarse I here all the usual excuses like this is just cheep plinking ammo and it doesn't jam with duty ammo but after enough summers I just say B.S.
I used to shoot bullseye pistl matches competitively with .22, .38, and .45 cal. I never had any malfunctions with either my issued G.I. M1911A1 match pistol, nor my Colt (pre-series 70) Gold Cup either when firing .45 hardball ammo. In addition, the Gold Cup functioned flawlessly with handloaded Lyman .452423HP Keith 230-grain semiwadcutters loaded with 7.3 grains of Unique, MV 998 FPS. I believe this load would be as good as any conceivable round for defense against bears that are breathing on you!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have owned one or more of all of the Glocks except the Baby Ones. They are a good reliable pistol. However The Rugers have proved just as reliable and just as accurate as my Glocks. This at not much over half the price of the Glocks. The Glock 10 MM was the most accurate of all of my Glocks I had a couple malfunctions with it when it was new but it settled down after a 100 rounds or so. The Glock 22 was a close second. I would feel pretty safe packing the Glock full size 45 ACP as well. I take back my first statement, I have not tried the 45 GAP. YET
Old 02-12-2006, 10:15 PM

Corbon makes some good high velocity rounds for the 45 colt. Evidently you can load a 45 colt to 44 mag velocties. but a good model 29 in .44 mag or a ruger of the same caliber is probably a more accepted choice.
okcmco
Old 02-14-2006, 03:37 PM

I doubt I could hit a running bear in the end of the nose, although I think Elmer Keith also suggested that same shot. But the truth is that when I hold my fire at any large animal with their ears laid back and coming for me, I'll either be out of ammo or getting chewed on. Their's other options worth the effort, like he has two eye sockets, a spine if his head is low, and don't forget the fore head. I'm aware of the chance of a bullet glancing off the scull, but I've also seen large hogs struck in the head and stunned without penetrating the scull, it can happen with a bear also. T suggest someone hold their fire while an animal charges hell bent on killing them sounds like it came from PETA.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think after the charge was underway, PETA would have to take the matter under advisment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.