Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Deer rifle

Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Deer rifle

Its all personal preference. Conditions arn't the same for everyone so there is no 1 cartridge or gunthat is right for everyone. I shoot a remington model 7 6mm rem. But my favorite gun is my fathers 1917 remington enfield 30-06that was sporterized. My grandfather redid the whole gun himself, so it has a sentimental value to him and I.I love the mauser action and that thing just plain out shoots... If i was going to buy a new gun right now thoughi really like the remington model 700 cdl's. I'd pick one up in a 25-06.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

i've gotfour favorites ( sorry , too hard to narrow it further) the first is my remington m700 classic in .35 whelen , second is my remington m673 in .350 rem mag , third is my browning lightning blr in .270 win. and fourth is my remington model seven in .260 rem. , those are mine but , not in any order , i can't pick any one specific
Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deer slayer Jr.

In my opinion the rem 700 .30-06 is the best deer rifle ever made i own one of those in bdl and i have a model 710 that i love which is inspiredd by the 700 and i also own the rem 7400 semi auto all of these guns do their job but i think that the 700 is perfect...what do yall think?
The old '06 will certainly do a good job killing deer, but it may be somewhatmore than is really necessary. Calibers like the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, 6.5X54 MS, 6.5X55mm, etc., are all that is really needed for deer of any size.

In addition, while the Remington 700 is generally a serviceable piece, there are certainly rifles in this world that are a lot higher in quality. However, except for the Kimbers and Dakotas (plus the custom jobs), very few of these high-quality rifles are made in USA!! But if the choice were between a CRF version of the Model 70 Winchester and a 700 Remington, I would choose the Win. every time.

"The best deer rifle is the one you are the most comfortable with, and confident in." TRUE!!

"The rest is personal choice . . . you know: Ford or Chevy!"

If you buy a Remington, Win., or Ruger-that's the choice. But I would prefer aFerrari or Rolls-Royce. These are imported.........
Old 02-12-2006, 07:37 PM

I totatly agree with game for lunch here. The best deer rifle is the one you are most comfortable with. And as far as a rifle is concerned the one im most momfortable with is my savage 110 in a 30-06. Now keep in mind that this gun is definately not the prettiest nor am I saying that it is the best built. All I know is that it shoots sub MOA groups that i am pleased with and ithandles best for me in my hunting situations. For example, I live in new york state and in order to hunt with rifle we have to go farther north above a certain line to do so. In the area that I hunt up north, I encounter revines, hills, rocks, thick wooded areas and open feilds. Sometimes hunting there requires alot of moving around or even tracking. To me i dont want to bring a heavy rifle with me. Also I dont really care to bring a deluxe, fancy walnut, high gloss stocked gunwith me so i can scratch it on some trees or scrape it against some rocks. I have 23 other rifles and the savage model 110 is the only one that I have hunted with. I love the rest too ...but thats why they stay at home.Dont get me wrong some of the others please me more with there designs and mechanisms.... and some are better made than my little savage....but that old girl has come through for memany times over. In the rain, snow, and mud. Its my work horse. You too will find a gun that you absolutely cannot put down. Or you will find a gun that when you do pick it up, it almost feels like it was made for you and your shooting style. She dont have to be pretty as long as it gets the job done.

BY THE WAY, THE REMINGTON MODEL 700 IS AN AWSOME GUN
Old 02-12-2006, 09:09 PM

My favorite deer gun is my Ithaca model LSA65 in 30-06 I've had this rifle since 1971 when I bought it new at a Firestone tire store,( how many of you ever done that).It fits me so well that when I bring it to my shoulder the cross hairs will be very near the intended aiming point, so it's very fast. Arunning shot on a deer becomes easy. I have two other rifles that fit me almost as well, one is a ruger .44 deer field carbine,and a marlin 1895 in 45-70. I took my daily limit on white tail one saturday this past January with the 45-70 in about 10 seconds a buck and doe I dropped them 30 yards apart. The next day I took another doe and all three were running.I have several other rifles that I hunt deer with but only standing or slowly walking,they just dont fit me as well and my confidence isn't strong enough. I know my limitations!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

A good bolt action 270 with a 3x9x40 would be my choice for the best deer rifle but if you asked alot of people around were I live they like the 7400 and the 7600 seems if you hunt on public land around here you will count4 lever guns, 8 auto/pumps, to every bolt action you see. So I would say the most popular is the 7400, 742 not my choice I will never stray from the bolts