Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

can i deer hunt w/ a .233

Old 02-08-2006, 09:54 PM

Default RE: can i deer hunt w/ a .233

Friend and I used some of the usa brand from walmart in our bushmasters. The load is the 45 gr. JHP at 3600 fps. I killed a doe at 325 yards/hit in the ribs. My friend killed biggest bodied deer I ever saw on the property we hunt on at about 55 yards. It went through both shoulders. I couldnt believe it. You couldnt even see an entrance wound on mine until it was opened up. It made a small pinhole going in and didnt exit. the lungs were just like grape jelly. It didnt go but 10 yards. My friends went about 50 yards. My friend shot another deer in doe season and I butchered it up and found one of the bullets perfectly mushroomed. I was surprised it didnt blow up. It was shot at abut 75 yards and took out the lower chest behind the front leg. Deer went about 30 yards. This load is really accurate out of both our rifles and it isnt expensive.You guysshould try it out.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen deer killed with a .22lr (shhhhh) all the way up to a .375h&h the one thing I noticed was they were all dead. Do I think .22 are good deer killers hell no. I dont think you should hunt with a rifle that you have to think about if it moves the right way iam gonna shoot . Is that teaching your kids how to hunt just because the rifle wont kick there butt. I know that a .223 will kill a deer , I also know it will not cause a great deal of tissue damage. So if your bullet does not follow a good path internally it will run and run (whats the saying it will just keep going ,going ect ) so I fewel it is a maginal or less then to hunt deer size game. Our kids need to see ethical hunts and ethical shots on all wildlife. It is our priveldge to get to hunt not a right so lets preserve it as long as possible. I always say dont give the poeple who are aginst us hunting the ammo they need to stop us. So enough of that I would suggest that you get a .243, 6mm, and let her shoot it alot. Good ear muffs and a steady rest will help her get the feel for it without spooking her away from it. I started my daughter off with my .220 swift and then to a .243 now she is a great shot and very cocky about it at 14 can you believe it . Good luck and I hope you can get her to shooting soon.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Sure, you can hunt deer with a 22LR if you want. Just gotta hit them in the right place! Do I condone such activity, NO, but it "can" be done.

Fat-Arrow
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Actally i belive that Blakk Hills produces 223 ammo loaded with 60 gr. Nosler partitions. if you cant find a box any kind of ammo would work for a head shot but its best to look for heavy bullets in the 65-70grain range so you gun will be able to stabalise them.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:18 PM

some states require a bullet weight of 100 grain minimum. Check your regs. I have seen deer brought down with 223...even with a .22 mag. But why be undergunned? The old '06 is great and you can find a gozillion used guns in '06 for 250 or less
Old 02-24-2006, 10:03 PM

Your 1-12 twist may not stabilize a 60 grn or heavier bullet anyway, so you're right to look at lighter stuff just stay with tough bullets and away from the match ammo it's not intended for game.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Federal Premium offers a 55 grain trophy bonded bear claw as a standard loading. You may have to go to a gun shop to find them but they would be the easiest to come by. My daughter killed her 1st deer this year with a .223 using these loads and I was suprised at the amount of damage they did. She hit him in the 2nd rib back quartering away and it exited the opposite shoulder breaking it in the process. I probably would try and limit the shots to 150 yards or less personally, but a lot depends on her shooting skills.