Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do I need a .338?

Old 02-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Do I need a .338?

JamesB, It looks like you and I both have experience with the .40+ magnums and you are right once you have been there and thencome back down to the .338 and .375 range they both feel pretty gentle by comparison and it is tempting to call them about evenwhen compared to the real kickers and they are kind of close, but.... I remember the first time I took a 375 to the range, it was a heavy rifle too, I warmed up with the 338 and then grabbed the 375 and slid one of those long H&H rounds in, applied my best 338 shooting form, and damn, it left a pretty strong impression on me ofkicking more and jumping more. I found I had tohold on to the forearm or it wouldjump right off of the stand where the 338 would stay put with the forearm un-grabbed. I felt like I had moved a significant step up. Now, compared to the .40+ mags it's no big deal however for some who may becoming up from a 3006 as their maxit may be a bit of a big step. That is why I recommended the in between stopin the338WM neighborhood. Somewould fair better than others and take right to a 375, others might have trouble.Maybe no big deal for you and me given the path we've travelled but might be a bit much for others that are getting slapped around for the first time by that much recoil.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A huge statement come on BC I am not 12 I am 42 I have shot many rifles and my share of deer. I also was in the army ranges so I feel I can hold my own at the range or where ever. And I was really talking to eagle . I am usally as accurate as you can get as far as your statement goes , I am a electrician so i know how to be accurate on my statements. Its been a pleasure talking to you two but its going to end here.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
bigcountry

Dan ain't no big deal. It was a mix up. But 2350fps from a 405gr bullet is a huge statement.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:33 PM

I know 300 fps don't sound like much, but to get a 405gr .458 bullet to 2300fps would require a 458 Winchester Magnum loaded fairly warm. To hear someone claim to get that out of the old 45-70 just jumped out at me as being.... well.... huge. That is what triggered my red flag, sorry for the perceived abuse. I've made a mistake on a forum (usually innocent, but a mistake nonetheless) and like yourself I just absolutely hate it. To your credit you hunted down the source of confusion and fessed right up. Its about the only thing one can do and still remain credible. Lashing back don't usually help tho.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Gosh, a 375 should be the biggest I would need. The money! RIches are watsed on the rich. I would make a horrible rich person, no yachts, no country club memberships, but a bazillion rifles, a garage full of hunting and fishing equipment, and I'd be gone all of the time. EJ
Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 AM

eipaul1 - looking at what you already have, and what you are considering as your next purchase - I should have been getting your advise 10-15 years ago before I made some of my choices.

I have so many chamberings that mirror each other it's kind of pointless. You've covered the whole range, and each one can serve a purpose others only partially overlap.

Do you need a 338? No. But a 338 will contine on the line of adding something your current calibers wouldn't to as well. I just started shooting my 338 recently. So far I like the caliber.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

What brand is yours?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Eagle 338. When I used to think my other rifles kicked, I would take the 416 down to the range and run a couple rounds through it. PRESTO!! , The other rifles seemed like ***** cats again.. I just was never impressed with the 338. I would choose a good 300 Mag over the 338 for any aplication. JMO.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Within 400 yds. the 300mag isn't in the same class as the 338 ,you give up too much mass and that little increase in volicity doesn't come close to making it up. Pull your head out of the sand and do some math. One of my speer manuals states that the 338 is so close to the 375hh as to overlap in preformance. that cannot be said for the 300. I'm not taking anything from the 300 it's a great round,but use your math it's not in the same league as the 338, so stop putting it down. You dont understand that of which you speak.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I quess you are the one who does not understand. Math has not one darn thing to do with the fact that I feel the 300 Mag will do anything that the 338 will do. A bit of mass, a bit of velocity a bit of bullet weight, What difference does it make int he real world? NONE. The difference between the 25-06 and the 338, I can see, but in the field, the 300 wWin Mag will do the same class of game animals that the 338 will do. I have learned years ago that there really is such a thing as ENOUGH. I can see no reason for using more. In the same respect as seeing the difference between the 25-06 and a bigger mag, I can see the difference between the 30-06 and the 375 H&H. I speak of use in the field not what differences may or may not show up on paper in a book. Sorry but I have been there and done that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.