Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Colt Gold Cup .45

Old 02-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colt Gold Cup .45

I can't even remember the last time I saw one but there is one in DesMoines, new. Someone with a better memory please refresh mine... were these tuned to target ammo only or can they shoot ball without damage?

All else fails I reckon I could look at the owners manual. Dang they lay awake at night down there thinking about ways to tempt me.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Colt Gold Cup .45

Not sure about today's production version, but my Series 70 Gold Cup will in fact digest hardball; there is nothing in the manual saying otherwise. Having said that, the spring is lighter than a Government Model, the slide is lighter, and I have installed a recoil buffer to minimize peening of the slide against the frame. I prefer to shoot light loads in mine; for hardball I've got a Springfield GI 45.

You can always buy heavier springs for these also.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. That sounds right. This one is out of the Colt Custom Gunshop and I really should not have to worry about hardball anymore but I thought I should ask. I remember they also chambered these for the 38 spc back in the day. It would be best to let a younger shooter snarf it up. I am still a fair pistol shot but my hand and eye is not what it used to be! We will see who gives in first.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

It would be best to let a younger shooter snarf it up. I am still a fair pistol shot but my hand and eye is not what it used to be! We will see who gives in first.
Oh, horsefeathers, Jake! Life is SHORT - - if you want this thing then go and snag it! Heck, you can always sell it to a younger shooter after you've had some fun with it!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks. That sounds right. This one is out of the Colt Custom Gunshop and I really should not have to worry about hardball anymore but I thought I should ask. I remember they also chambered these for the 38 spc back in the day. It would be best to let a younger shooter snarf it up. I am still a fair pistol shot but my hand and eye is not what it used to be! We will see who gives in first.
I had one of the pre-Series 70's, and it would handle heavy loads (heavier than GI hardball), but I had to replace the rear sight crosspin with one made of a stronger steel. The factory pins (roll pins) would shear! I ended up making a pin from the shank of a Herter's stainless steel fishhook. It was the only type of steel I ever found that held up for many, many rounds!!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I had one of the pre-Series 70's, and it would handle heavy loads (heavier than GI hardball, a 230-grain Keith HP semiwadcutter at 998 fps). But, I had to replace the rear sight crosspin with one made of a stronger steel. The factory pins (roll pins) would shear! I ended up making a pin from the shank of a Herter's stainless steel fishhook. It was the only type of steel I ever found that held up for many, many rounds!! I also installed a Wolfe 26-pound recoil spring and firing pin spring.