Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Serious Bore cleaning??

Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Spike

Default Serious Bore cleaning??

Hey all I really didnt get into bore care on my guns until I got into muzzle loading. Due to part of clean bore of ML makes for easy loading and accurate. HAHA well with all the reading I have done on the black powder forums about the topic a light bulb finally went off!!! Why in the world would I not take the same care of my rifles.

After going through my second rod of a the, walmart special cleaning kits. I decided to get serious about my rifles bore cleaning tools.I found things such as bore guides and 1 piece cleaning rods. Is a one piece rod better than a goodmulti-piece one? Should a person use a bore guide too? What are some things you all reccomend??

bolt actions i have.220 swift, .22 mag and a .308

Thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Serious Bore cleaning??

Definitely use the proper caliber bore guide, and one piece rods are better just for the fact that if the 3 piece(or whatever it is) comes loose, its possible they can come in contact with the inside of the barrel, not good.

When you get into precision/long range shooting, your rifles barrel becomes an obsession.

I like the foam cleaners, takes some of the hassle out of it.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Dewey one piece cleaning rod and the Dewey bore guide. This combo works well in protecting the bore from any damage when cleaning...
Old 01-31-2006, 07:30 AM
bigcountry

I like sinclair or stoney point for bore guides. I have tipton and dewey rods. Both are good. Not sure which I like the best.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Sinclair bore guides also, they're my favorite. As far as rods are concerned, I've got Dewey and Bore-Tech. They're both nice, but I prefer the Bore-Tech because the handle is much more confortable. Another thing I recommend is 100% cotton flannel patches (I buy mine from Sinclair). They are head and shoulders better than the synthetic patches made by Hoppes and others.

As far as solvents are concerned, I've trieda little ofeverything and use differentones from time to time, but what I like bestis a mixture of Shooter's Choice and Kroil (75/25 ratio) for powder fouling and either Wipeout, Barnes CR-10 or Montana Extreme 50BMG for copper fouling. There are lots of products out there, you'll just have to experiment and determine what you like best.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 AM

I have always used a one piece rod. And I don't bother with a bore guide. I remove the bolt, and clean from the breech end forward. Much less of a chance to damage the crown of your rifle. Good luck
Old 01-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive gotten to the point I pretty much only use a bore snake for all my guns except the muzzleloader. I run that threw a few times with some solvent and its get it plenty clean. Ive ran a brush threw afterwards and dont pick up and more dirt.

I do use a foam about once and year with a brush but I love just have those snakes at the range makes it alot easier.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes a quality 1 piece coated rod and bore guide are worth the investment. I personally use a Dewey rod and Stoney Point bore guide. I may add stay away from the cheap plastic bore guides,an adjustable one like the dewey or stoney or a sinclair that help to protect the chamber/throat area are what your looking for in a bore guide(as well as centering the rod).

Like mentioned cleaning solvents/solutions are vast. I use Shooter Choice for powder/lead/etc (also works in removing plastic fouling in your ML if you shoot sabots). For Copper removal I use Barnes CR10 or Sweets 7.62. BC's Sheath for my light gun oil.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Spike

Thanks all I am looking at gettin this bore guide. http://store.yahoo.com/stoneypoint/borguidalnew.html

Cleaning Rod not sure on at the moment but will definitely be a 1 piece.

Cleaners, I am lookin at some butches bore shine for copper build up. I was also told about a product called Seafoam whichis supposed to be good for the carbon/powder build up. Apparently you can get it at any autoparts store.

Are themultiple caliber, 1 piecerods, good for cleaning the small bores and large? Or would you get different one for both small and bigger cal guns? Also do you prefer to use the wire type patch pusher or a loop style?

Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get separate rods, one for the .22's and one for the .308. I'd be afraid that one suitable for the .22's might flex too much inside the .308. For pushing patches through a bore, use a good brass jag.Loops are practically useless in my opinion. If you haven't been to this site yet, here's a goodplace to find some of the things you need:

www.sinclairintl.com