Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

It's about that time again...

Old 01-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default It's about that time again...

My last gun purchase was in November. I now feel I've got all my rifle needs covered for a while. Now it's time to start saving up a little here and there and trying to decide what my next purchase will be. I'm thinking about getting into cowboy action shooting, the only problem is I will need 4 guns (two revolvers, a pisitol caliber-rifle, and a shotgun). I have none of these. Taking into account I can only afford to purchase one gun at a time, where should I start. I'm thinking shotgun, because I don't currently own a shotgun and I could also make use of it dove and quail hunting. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It's about that time again...

My neighbor/shooting buddy has a Winchester 20ga for sale
Old 01-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

if your mainly looking for one that will be dual usage like for cowboy action shooting and hunting ( it will have to be a period type shotgun , non modern design , so if i'm correct , no interchangable choke tubes etc... ), then get the shotgun but , i don't know if there's a shotgun only division in cowboy action shooting , if there isn't and that's your main goal , then go with a pistol caliber rifle but remember , it has to be of or like period style ( can't be a modern design )
Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

heres what our local cowboy action groups website says about there firearms, BTW i got a marlin 1894 in 41 mag. for X-mas, man it's a blast, i'm not getting into the cowboy action stuff though, i need another hobbie like i need another hole in my head[&:], i have a couple of friend that are into this stuff, it is neat

Firearms
We shoot firearms typical of the period after the Civil War and before 1899. We shoot single action revolvers, lever action rifles, and either double barrel, lever action, or 1897 pump shotguns. Contestants use either smokeless powder or black powder.
A typical monthly match includes four to six stages. A stage is a storyline for a short shooting activity such as a bank robbery, a jailbreak, a town shootout, a hanging, or a disturbance in Pearl's Parlor House. Most stages include shooting two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun.
but you probably already new all of thistoughcall since you'll eventually need them all, but since you don't have a scattergun i believe i'd lean that way first, just remember a man can never have tooo many guns[:-]