Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

308 Win: The Original Winchester Short Magnum

Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 AM

Default RE: 308 Win: The Original Winchester Short Magnum

LOL...This is a funny pissing contest...No its not, yes it is, no it is not, yes it is.......LOL. Thanks for the thread....
Old 01-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Check out this months Handloader Magazine. The Article title on the front cover "The .308 is GREAT!" that should say it all. After years of neglect sitting in my grandfathers attic I took my .308 out and cleaned it up. Shot it and it was a tack driver even after all the rusting and crusting. Now I'm having it completely reblued and I can't wait to see how accurate it is when I get it back. A great quote from Handloader... "The .308 is inharently accurate."Also, they did the balistics on a .308 and a 300 magnum and found that their fps were close to equil after about 150 yards. Yea I'd consider it a pre-magnum. That being said it is not a true magnum cartridge. The .308 has similarities of the short magnums but came about in a different time. But the problem with this logic is that the .308 (if memory serves me correctly) came out after the 1st true magnum cartridge. Perhaps we could call it the pre-father-wanna-be-of magnums. Nahhh I'll just call it what it is. Fun to shoot. Not punishing with little recoil. Damn accurate. Good enough to get the job done. etc...etc...etc...

As a side note I'm probably about to have my lunch eaten for this post.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ths78
Should we consider the 308 Win winchester's first short magnum cartridge?
You can if you want to, but I don't consider the ".308 Winchester" to be a Winchester development, as the .270 Win. is. It was dreamed up by the U.S. army Ordnance Department during their quest for a shorter, sturdier round for use in automatic weapons. The .300 Savage had been tried, but when they "discovered" that there was about 1/2" of empty airspace inside M2 Ball ammo anyway, they just cut off the 0.5" of airspace,renecked the case, and lo and behold, the 7.62X51mm NATO round. Winchester then adopted it, because they knew if it was the service rifle round, everyone would have one!!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its a matter of how far you want or need to shoot. If you go by the standard that you want or need 1500-1800 LBs ME remaining for elk, With factory loads you could use the 300 RUM out to 500 yards or a bit more, The 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM out to about 400 yards and the 308 and 30-06 out to 300 yards or a bit more. Out at 800 yards or so, none of them make the cut. The RUM with the best bullets would have dropped off to about 1200 and the rest, below a thousand. Hand loaders can increase the range of all of them a little although it may not be wise to do so. The above figures are from Hornady and use the 180 grain bullet in all calibers.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

The .308 is not a magnum and it is a distortion of the term "magnum" to try to analyze it as such. I don't own any magnums and don't need any magnums (though I have a hankering to obtain a Winchester .338 Magnum), but I think the distinction between magnum and non-magnum cartridges is worth maintaining. The .30-06 is NOT a magnum, hence the .308 is not a magnum either.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I think here's where the confusion takes place!

Hornady Light Magnum Ammunition 308 Winchester 150 Grain Super Shock Tip Box of 20

Hornady Light Magnum loads achieve higher velocities and hit harder than almost any other comparable ammunition of the same caliber. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Attention!
Ammunition is not returnable to MidwayUSA. If defective, please contact the manufacturer.

Technical Specifications & Use

Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing that ever happened to the .308 is the 7-08.

Necking it to 7MM or even .264 was a great improvement.

The .308 is also a fine cartridge but to call it a magnum is stretching it a tad....or more.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:58 PM

I would like to add my two cents worth to this discussion. What is a magnum anyhow, do you even know.The word magnum was orignally used to describe a larger bottle of champaigne. So I guess you could consider anything that is larger than any similar object to be a magnum, and since a 308 win. and a 30-30 win. both use .308 bullets it would be resonable to say the 308 win. is a magnum of the 30-30 win. But think about this the 222rem mag is a magnum, the 22-250 and the 220 swift are not and we all know how they stack up power wise. Most people who can shoot a .300 win magnum or something more powerful well will be awsome with a .243 or .260 rem or any rifle in this power range, you won't even feel recoil. But to get riled up over this is silley, magnum is just a word that gets misused and doesn't have anything to do with power anyway. Besides not long ago if it didn't have a belt it wasn't a magnum at all, or was it?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigpapa. I won't eat your lunch but for someone a smart as you, I would buy lunch.@ MickyDee's

Quick Reply: 308 Win: The Original Winchester Short Magnum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.