Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pistol jam problem. again.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pistol jam problem. again.

I wanted to post this as a poll.
My S&W 6906 has been a good gun. Recently it has started jamming ...alot. Nearly every round to be moreaccurate.[:@]
I changed the magazine springs thinking they were shot, didn't help at all.[>:]
Resale is about $250.00 here ,I paid $650. for it10 yrs ago. ,don't really want to off it at such a hit, plus it was fun to shoot before this started.
Wouldthemembers heresuggest..
A- Take the loss and try another model/brand auto.(suggestions welcome)
B- Take it to a gunsmith & get pro opinion on fixing/selling.
C-Get rid of it and buy a revolver. (I'm leaning this way)
D- Throw it in the river for the aggrivation it's causing me.
E-Keep it as a backup(if it can be repaired)and add a revolver to stable as new no. 1
??????
I highly value the info I haverecieved from the folkshere in the past, such a great forum.
Thanks in advance for any reply's on this one.
NYH

Old 01-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pistol jam problem. again.

How exactly is it jamming?

Personally I would take it to a gunsmith and see what he says but if you are going to throw it in the river let me know and I will give you something for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Our local police dept. had the Smith&wesson 6906 pistols as thier duty weapons for some time until they had the same jamming problem they have since traded to the Glock model 22 40 S&W which I own myself and HIGHLY recommend. they may be ugly but they shoot any they are reliable I hope this helps chad
Old 01-28-2006, 10:15 AM

What you are experiencing is a malfunction not a jam. A jam is an obstruction in the muzzle. (Not a good thing to have) I would take it to a certified S&W gunsmith and have it looked at. It might be something simple to correct like a guide rod spring. Have you switch ammo recently? Try another type and see if that helps. Getting a second gun is always good. Good luck to you.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 AM

The bad thing about a semi auto pistol that starts malfunctioning is that you lose all confidence in it - even if the problem is something simple that a gunsmith could fix in five minutes, and even if the gun never coughed again after that. One problem that these pistols have had is that the stainless steel frame and the stainless steel slide tend to "gall" in places where they contact. Some smoothing and lapping, along with the use of a special lube made for stainless steel (Rig makes a good one) may be all that is required.

There are, of course, a bunch of other possibilities; depending on whether it is a failure to feed or a failure to eject. These pistols are good enough quality to be worth at least taking to a gunsmith for evaluation. Having said that, however, I carry a Glock in the glovebox of my car.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you getting stove-pipes, double-feeds, nose-dives?

What's it actuallydoing?

Could also be fatigued magazine lips, cracked tip on ejector pin, junk under the extractor claw, ammo.

For that kind of loss, I'd have it checked out by a smith too.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

The shell gets stuck facing nose down, and the top (slide?)doesn't cycle all the way closed. I already replaced the mag springs with a 10% powerupgrade from wolf gunsprings. I have lost confidence in this gun; as Roskoe stated.
Hopefully a gunsmith can help to remedy it.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 PM

Nose dives into the feed ramp are most commonly a magazine related problem - assuming you are using good quality factory ammunition. Take it to a gunsmith.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:07 PM

I agree with Roskoe. Maybe a bad follower. Take it to a certified gunsmith.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Dropped the gun off at the gunsmithtoday, It will be2-3 weeks to get it back. I will post the verdict/ results when it comes back.
Happened to find a very helpfull & knowledgable person behind the counter. Showed me a few options for a revolver. I think I couldown one ofthese; http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5505&return=Yhe only had the 9 1/2" barrel in stock, when the 7 1/2" arrives it's probably coming home.

Quick Reply: Pistol jam problem. again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.