Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun stopping power

Old 01-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Handgun stopping power

I forget the guys name but he is a gun writer and acts as a expert witness in cases just like the ones we are talking about. He claims that it is important to use factory ammo and even better, use what law enfircement uses. Its better to not give the RAMBO image or the idea that factory ammo just does not have enogh power for you. I read this long before I ever heard of the internet. Jan Liberel or something like that is the writer/witnsee I was thinking about. I have also heard the same thing on Evan Marshalls site.

I would rather be safe than sorry and always carry factory ammo in my carry guns. Todays factory ammo is hard to beat for performance and dependability. Why take a chance. It the PC people that may be on your jury that this might matter to.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Briman, No I am not going to spend the time looking for court cases where this type of thing was used against the defendant in order to apese you "internet urban legend" comment.

A person using reloads may or may not loose the case against them. That's not for me to decide. What I am guaranteeing you is that if you should shoot someone with reloaded ammo and the DA finds out that it is loaded to higher speeds or there are any other factors about it that would give you a suposed "killer" look to a jury they WILL use it against you. You may win or you may loose but.......... you will spend extra time and money defending yourself against this kind of BS.

I honestly don't care one way or the other if you take the advice or not but for those here that aren't so closed minded to think this won't matter you may want to heed it.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forget the guys name but he is a gun writer and acts as a expert witness in cases just like the ones we are talking about. He claims that it is important to use factory ammo and even better, use what law enfircement uses.
His name is Mas Ayoob. He is very well respected and knowledgeable but his comment on reloaded ammunition is very controversial. Even he himself hasn't been involved in a case or could cite a case about using reloaded ammunition for self defense.

Briman, No I am not going to spend the time looking for court cases where this type of thing was used against the defendant in order to apese you "internet urban legend" comment.
That's because you could look until the cows come home and never find such a case, because it doesn't exist.

Lets make an analogy here. Man No1 keeps a Louisville slugger under his bed for home defense, he ends up using it one night to defend his family and ends up killing a bad guy.

Man No2 keeps a 2 1/2' long piece of shovel handle under his bed for self defense, he doesn't have any use for a baseball bat and doesn't want to spend extra for something that he can make from junk in his barn. He uses said shovel handle to kill a home invader in defense of his family.

Now is Man no2 going to have any more legal trouble than man no1 simply because he made a homemade weapon?

In the act of self defense, it really doesn't matter what tool you use so long as the amount of force you use is pertinent to the threat.

The only reason why I could see the advantage of store bought ammunition is reliability, not liability. There are a lot of bubbas with minimal reloading knowledgeout there with progressive machines turning out squibs and other bad things.

I honestly think that there are a lot of people out there who are more afraid to be sued than to be killed in a robbery. I find that sad.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:15 AM

Bri you are already using flawed philsophy my friend. You are assuming common sense and fairness in a court of law. If a crackheads family hauls you into court for civil rights violation and the jury is stacked against you (you know what I mean) then you can take your "right" and throw it out the window. The lawyers know it makes NO difference but that doesn't matter, all they have to do is convince 12 Geraldo watchers that you are a bloodthirsty, gun toting racist who was looking for a victim disguised as a criminal.TheJohnny Cochran is gonna use ANYTHING he can to paint you in a badlight.Whether they know a hollowpoint from a handload is of NO concern whatsoever too the subject!

More afraid of being sued than robbed? DAMN RIGHT I AM!!! That is where the libbies know they stand the greatest chance of harming us,
RA
Old 01-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its kind ofamusing how a thread discussing which caliber has the best'stopping power' and which loads will stop a man best has morphed into a thread about worrying about how prosecutors, jurists with room temperature IQs, or trial lawyers might take offense to how a person who makes deadly ninja crackhead blasting ammo in his garage. [8D]
Old 01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm actually way beyond worrying about handloaded ammunition. As a hobby, I shoot IPSC which involves shooting cardboard 'bad guys' for fun. I also shoot service rifle, which to an unknowledgeable observer, might look like a militia event and we all know that militias are made up of racist neonazi antigovernment conspirators. A jury of 'special people' would have a field day with me long before the handloaded bullet issue came up.

I have much bigger things to worry and fret about like being attacked by sharks, becoming infected with flesh eating bacteria, or getting hit by a meteor.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

JB I wouldn't get rid of the 45 to get a 40 just because you see so many carried by those with badges. Most law enforcement who carry 9s or 40s do so because they are required to by policy. Nearly too the man, the gents I know well in the military and tact squad law officers MUCH prefer the superior stopping power of the 45 vs either of the other two. In manners of gun, caliber and defensive bullets I take the recommendations from those who are shot at for a living!!!

Regardless of caliber, the two most preferred bullets I have seen by those same buddies are the Golden Saber from Remington and the Federal Hydra Shock.

My 1911 is full of Hydras,
RA
Yep!, a few personal friends of mine are the badge carrying type, lucky for them they get to carry what ever they want no dept policy against caliber choice. both of them carry 45's, one of them carries the glock 21 the other carries a kimber custom II 1911. And if you ask either one of them why they prefer the 45, they will more then likely say the larger diameter and heavier mass of the bullet makes a bigger hole and will also have more drag through the flesh and tissue thus dispensing more KE which will have a better chance of disrupting the nervous system which leads to stopping the perp more quickly. My personal choice is also a 45 acp, with a little influence from my buddies I prefer the winchester supreme 230 grain SXT cartridge which happens to be the same cartridges both of my buddies use.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

If you want to avoid extra legal action against you should you have to shoot a person to defend your life do not shoot them with reloaded ammunition.
I'm calling BS on this one unless you can come up with a case where someone used handloads for self defense and was prosecuted for using 'extra deadly handloads.' This falls under the category or internet gun urban legend.
believe what ever you want, but from an incident that involved a close friends cousin where the cousin had used a firearm loaded with reloads in a defensive situation. In court there were no criminal charges filed against him but later in civil court he was slammed hard by the legal eagles and the family of the burglur he killed. he's now paying restitution to the family in the sum of over 500 grand. His attourney said only if hed used factory ammunition the judge would have more then likely ruled in his favor. the case against him was based on the idea that he reloaded his ammo extra hot with the intent of causing extreme damage to whom ever he shot. bunch of BS if you ask me but all it takes is one liberal judge and its all over for you. The judge more then likely knew next to nothing about ammo and handloads altogether and made his decision based on the fact that cops use factory ammo so ifs its good enough for them then it should be plenty good for a civilian.

Besides if you have handloaded nearly asmuch handgun ammo as i have you would deffinately realize that factory ammo is alot more reliable then reloads. I think if my life depended on it reliability would be the biggest factor in my choice of ammo.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

deadly ninja crackhead blasting ammo in his garage

BLahahhahaha!!! thats kinda funny, gotta hand it to ya you have a heck of a sense of humor.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This post didn't go quite the way I thought it would. I figured this would turn out to be a 40 cal bashing post. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about them.

Tom

Quick Reply: Handgun stopping power

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.