Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

MULE DEER RIFLE CHOICE!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MULE DEER RIFLE CHOICE!!!

257 wby,100 gr triple shoks.
This load will take down any Mule Deer that walks the planet at any range you can hit them in the chest.I use a 25-06 with 115 Barnes x,and have killed many mulies(as with Nosler,BT,seirra's and coventional bullets).
If you might cross a elk's path while deer hunting I would use the 7mm RM with 140 noslers,accubonds,or x's(the 257 weatherby will work also)

As for meat damage use a good bullet that will hold together.try not to shoot straight through the shoulder,the bone fragments shrapnel into the meat.
BBJ
Old 01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: James B

I have hunted the prairies for 49 years for mule deer. Only once in all of those years did I find myself taking a shot over 300 yards. I one time finished a wounded mulie at about 425 yards. I never would have tried that shot under any other circumstances. Most rifles do not have much left at 500 plus yards let alone the hunter ability to get any kind of shot placement. If you have any hunting ability you should seldom need to try shots past 400 yards which is also to far. To many things come into play at that range, most of which you can't practice for like swirleling winds, elevetion, up or downhill angles. There are a few hunters who can pull this off but its darn few.

Many rifles will do the job you require including the ones you mentioned but there is no substitution for getting close enough not to need to push the ability of the hunter or the weapon.
You have a good point about getting close but who are you to judge ones skill in shooting. I respect you for the fact that you would not shoot at what you feel a uncomfortable range . But these shots can be made if you do your math and have the skill. Also their is plenty enough power left at 500 yards to make a cleankill with either caliber mentioned.jmo
Old 01-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you lead my post again you will see that I said there are a few hunters that can make those shots. However after guiding mule dees hunters for 12 years, I know that thiose guys are few and far between. After shooting steel silhouettes for 10 years I have also seen that good shots who know the exact range and whos rifles are sighted in for the 500 meter target, still miss a lot of shots because of unseen conditions which can change several times in 500 Meters. Long range varmit shooters know that you need wind flags about every 50 yards when sighting in and testing loads for long range shooting. I have seen pretty good shooter miss targets by FEET because of wind you could hardly feel at the firing line. Long range shooting is fun and also is best left for targets rather than live game. You don't need much wiggle to miss a deer by ten yards at 500 Plus yards. Wind drift can be in feet also. Some things can't be practiced. Its pretty easy to get within 300 yards of most big game.

I base my statement on seeing many more hunters miss at 300 yards than I have seen hits. Even less good hits in the vitals.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went on my first mule deer hunt in New Mexico some months back, My 308 win and my handloads pushing a 165 grain Sierra BTHP gameking at about 2720 fps prevailed quite nicely with a single shot on a nice 8 point at 120 yards give or take 10 yards. he had run down the hillside about 15 yards or so before expiring. I have no need for those macho mondo I have to prove something magnums, though I am considering buying a 300 win mag before my next elk hunt, the 308 and a 180 grain nosler partion at 400 yards was pushing it on my last elk hunt had to put 2 rounds in it to put him down. hopefully the 300 winnie can do it with one shot at those ranges.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since they both use the same 308 diameter bullet, with the same hit, expect the same results. Put that bullet in the vatals and your going to be eating elk.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: monarchoutdoors

Out of these two choices only which would you choose fo flat open country mule deer hunt?

.257 Weathebry mag with 110 accubonds or 100 grain partitions

or

.7mm Rem Mag with 150 grian Sciroccos

Thanks in Advance
Either one will do fine for mulies! I have killed quite a few with the .270 Win, the 7mm Rem. Mag., and the biggest I ever killed was a 1-shot kill at 200 yards with a 140-grain Sierra from a Norwegian Krag in 6.5X55- it field-dressed at 254 pounds! (Ojo De La Gallina Ranch, Dilia, New Mexico).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/eldeguello/NewMexicoMulie.jpg
Old 01-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Eithedr one will do fine for mulies! I have killed quite a few with the .270 Win, the 7mm Rem. Mag., and the biggest I ever killed was a 1-shot kill at 200 yards with a 1490grain Sierra from a Norwegian Krag in 6.5X55- it field-dressed at 254 pounds! (Ojo De La Gallina Ranch, Dilia, New Mexico).

10-4, Homey!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

HDW from everything I read it usually takes more than one shot from anything on Elk. Hope to find out one of these days.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

HDW from everything I read it usually takes more than one shot from anything on Elk.
I agree Elk are one of the toughest in NA Big Game animals. However the past 5 years I have taken 5 elk all of which no more than one shot was fired to collecteach Elk. 4 were taken with a 7mm rem mag using 3 - 160 Nosler gr pills and 1 - 140 gr Barnes. The other elk was taken with a bow. Now not one animal toppled at the shot but equally none travelled much more than 100 yards after having their lungs deflated either. This in no way makes them any less tough but with the proper equipment,sticking to your ability/limitationsand placing the bullet in the lungs...I don't think an elk requires more than 1 good poke! Hey, just my 2 cents worth, so take it or leave it!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 PM

I have killed a bunch (maybe 30) of cows and small bulls with one shot. But big bulls in the rut can be extraordinarily resistant to bullet wounds. And it is wise to put another one into a big bull if he is still up - just to make sure he doesn't wander across the fence where another hunter will finish off your bull and tag it

Quick Reply: MULE DEER RIFLE CHOICE!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.