Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why are SOCOMs so expensive

Old 01-15-2006, 12:32 PM
bigcountry

Default Why are SOCOMs so expensive

I was looking at the SOCOM II the other day in a gunshop. It was ok. But why the 1800 price tag? I have seen some groups in American rifleman that was like 2.5MOA. Thats not that good. I am just wondering how Springfield can sell any? Anyone else have any experience?

Old 01-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why are SOCOMs so expensive

Marketing. One, these are NOT even used by the SOCOM folks. It's just a name placed on the guns to help them be more "tactical" and hopefully sell better. member, unless it's black with all kinds of really useful rails to load crap onto, it's not "tactical" and therefore not "cool". It's not about how well you can shoot but how good you look shooting it.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 PM
bigcountry

Well, I think I look pretty nice shooting any weapon. I mean I do have to beat the women off of me. I just can't see my dance cart getting any fuller with a SOCOM.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Maine Shooter. Many manufacturers are marketing a SOCOM model in one form or the other. They market a standard firearm with camo or parkerizerd finish and night sights and claim label it SOCOM. Dedicated SOCOM firearms are usually the top of the line from a top of the line manufacturer. For an example, check out Heckler and Koch Mark 23. Match grade from the magazine to the threaded extended barrel with dependability second to none, but this comes with a stout price tag. I fugure if your butt depends on your equipment the expense is well worth the investment.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:32 PM

You sure it was a Springfield and not an H&K?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't exactly impressed with the rifle in the article either.

Springfield Armory doesn't have anyone to compete with for pricing their m14s as the rest of the manufacturers who make or build them charge more. Springfield's only price competitor was Norinco who imported M14s for around $500 until Clinton banned their import. [:@]

As mentioned above, the Mark 23 pistol is definately worth the money for what its for, though I don't have any use for one- way too big to CCW and for the price, I could buy several 1911s, sweet shooting guns they are though.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
bigcountry

I just didn't like the way it felt. It was bulky. And wouldn't be my first idea of a scout weapon. But thats just me.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:36 PM

Here are the reason why it costs so much. For starters, it is an expensive platform to start with. Next, it require a lot of work to make the changes. And the parts that are put are more expensive.And lastly, they are in high demand. When you compare the number of orders compared to the number of rifle available. If people are will to pay that much, why charge less.

But, I agree. I don't care for it much myself. The scout rifle they make is much handier. And what I think they really need to make is one more for the hunter. Lengthen the barrel a hair, remove the break, and chamber for other rounds besides the 308 win. And after all of that, slap a $750 price tag on it. I know, I know, but I can dream if I want to.LOL
Old 01-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

And lastly, they are in high demand. When you compare the number of orders compared to the number of rifle available. If people are will to pay that much, why charge less.
Must be a lot of 1331 5331z out there
Old 01-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's a SOCOM?

Quick Reply: Why are SOCOMs so expensive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.