Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning slug gun?

Old 10-16-2002, 07:09 PM

Default Browning slug gun?

Hello.
I have a Browning auto "Light Twelve" and I was wondering if anybody has an opinion on the best slugs to shoot from this weapon. It's barrel doesn't appear to be rifled, so Sabots are out right? If you can't tell, I'm new to shotgunning for deer. I would appreciate any advice or opinions.

Thank you
Jack
Old 10-16-2002, 10:16 PM

Default RE: Browning slug gun?

Take it to your local gunsmith and make sure it has not been back bored. You really do not want to shot slugs from an Older(?) shot gun if it has not been checked out. Ask about the choke, if it's tighter than Modifide I'd be cautious about that also(don't want to have more pressure that the barrel will take) Hope this points you in the right direction.

Misplaced Buckeye
Old 10-17-2002, 05:11 PM

by your name.. i guess your from the same state as me.

all my deer have been taken in massachusetts are under 75yds. i would not worry about the rifled barrel and stay with the " foster " type slugs. they are good out to 75yds or so. just practice. if you are doing drives mix it up with 000 buckshot.
in mass. all i use are foster slugs ( brenneke ) and 000 buckshot. since i see them under 30yds.

Old 10-27-2002, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the Browning Light Twelve-gget a dedicated slug barrel. Either a rifle sighted smooth bore or (best bet) rifled barrel with a cantilevered scope mount with a 2X or 4X SHOTGUN scope.
The Light Twelve is really a top notch (Cadillac/Mercedes) class of gun so don't mess with the nice shot barrel it came with.
When you get a barrel get the best you can afford and try to stick with Browning! Remember! Don't put dimestore tires on your nice Cadillac or it will ride like a dimestore car.

Now...."Go Get Ya One!"