Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

One Weapon

Old 02-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: One Weapon

"Right now the weapons that I am considering are a tactical pump shotgun"....

THAT'S THE ONE! Loaded with something like No. 2 birdshot, so it is deadly if the miscreant is close enough to be dangerous to you, but with a very short ranges so as not to endanger the neighborhood.......
Old 02-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I took the course for my CC several years ago....The last evening the officer had written on the board 12 GAUGE....He then proceeded to tell us that when he entered a house for a drug bust his .45 was on his hip and his 12 gauge was in his hands...

As has been pointed out, you need to give some consideration as to where and how it should be stored, and what type shot is in the chamber....

FWIW....I use one of my 12 gauges when getting ready for deer season...When cutting shooting lanes...High brass #6s in a full or modified choke will cut through a limb 3 inches in diameter from 20 feet...
Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GAmagman

I've always loved firearms, and I've always owned them, but I am now recently married and I have a new daughter. My question is if you could own only one firearm to protect your family what would it be?

Right now the weapons that I am considering are a tactical pump shotgun or a 40 s&w. I've owned 9mms in the past, but I don't know if I would feel safe protecting my family with one. I am really intrigued by the 10mm, but I have no experience, and it is hard to find people that own them to get their opinions. Anyway I appreciate you guys giving me imput in advance.
I imagine that being newly married you have a limited budget. I am cognizant of the fact you stated one gun but there may be a better solution to your situation.

For the money you would spend on a tricked out Tactical Shotgun or quality 40S&W Pistol you could buy a good used pump shotgun and a S&W pocket revolver. Further consider that your wife; and daughter in later years, need to know how to use any weapons you have. Get a Mossberg®, Remington® or Winchester® pump gun at Walmart. CW aside buy a 20ga, not a 12ga. (98% of the time only ONE SHOT is required with a shotgun. The women in your life can handle a 20ga & a 38Special; very few can manage a 12ga & 40 S&W).

Before you think I'm smoking tuna fish or sniffin' the sheep dip; my home is defended with a 20ga Mossberg® pump gun& S&W Mdl37. My wife canhandle the recoil,& more importantly shoot accurately with both weapons.

Futher remember that you can NEVER CHILD-PROOF ANY GUN; YOU CAN GUN-PROOF YOUR CHILD.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:08 PM

i have a .357 mag smith and wesson and it is oustanding as far as accuracy goes. they have plent of power for defense and they are not to big to handle. you can buy winchester personal protection holow pioints for them and they just look awsome. if you happen to ever see some of these shell you will understand what im saying. one of the deepest hollow points ive erv seen. they would definatley stop any intruder. for the shotgun you cn also buy personal defense ammo for them as well made by aquila. they are shot shells with no was and are only about and inch and a half long for close quarter shooting and wide spread shot patten to make sure you hit what you're shooiting at. hope this help. good luck and congrats on the new family.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

For in home defense, a shotgun wins hands down. deadly at short ranges but with the right loads, will not blow through too many walls. Don't use buckshot, use a load of #6s or smaller. These wil annihilate a target at close range, but will be much safer than any handgun bullet inside a house. Go get you a tied and tus 870 or Mossberg 500 and get the shortest barrel you can. I believe Mossberg offer the 500 in barrel lengths as short as 18.25".
Old 02-11-2006, 05:09 PM

Ak-47 with a 100-round drumclip.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:30 PM

I'd like say to Charley that I was beginning to think I was the only one who knew a shotgun had to beaimed at inside the house distance,s. I'd also like to add my two cents worth about the child safety issue, I know how giving away your position is a dangerous thing, but I'd rather be shot by a burgler than have one of my granddaughters injure themselves with my guns. So my openion is to keep all my guns with an empty chamber and loaded mag. then I can either rack the slide on my shotgun or my glock and then be ready for their next move.I don't see many criminals whom are too lazy to work hanging arround to see if I can shoot them. This solves another problem,If I do have to pull the trigger it will look better in court if they had a little warning.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

For in home defense, a shotgun wins hands down. deadly at short ranges but with the right loads, will not blow through too many walls. Don't use buckshot, use a load of #6s or smaller. These wil annihilate a target at close range, but will be much safer than any handgun bullet inside a house. Go get you a tied and tus 870 or Mossberg 500 and get the shortest barrel you can. I believe Mossberg offer the 500 in barrel lengths as short as 18.25".
That's good advice Mike. Actually it's a 18½" Cyl Bore Barrel. Big 5 Sporting Goods puts Mossberg® Combo 2 barrel guns on sale in 12 & 20ga for $229.95+tax every couple of months or so. A great deal with a 10 year warranty.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:13 PM

Probably a good pump 12 guage with mag extension to increase the capacity to 8 rounds. Short barrel and pistol grip with a surefire light and high vis fiber optic sights.
okcmco
Old 02-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like 40 and 45. If a 9mm HP fails to open up (like when the guy is wearing heavy winter clothes), it will do little to stop the attacker compared to a 40 or 45.
Overpenetration may not be as big of an issue if the bedrooms are not on the entry level. THE most important consideration in caliber selection is controlability. If you are not carrying the gun caoncealed, then get the biggest framed gun/biggest caliber you can shoot well and quickly.

Get the night sights. The biggest advantage you have on your home turf is darkness since you know the layout and furniture arrangement intimately.

Use a tac light intermittantly to light up an area, and them turn it off and MOVE. You don't want you rlight to give away your location, but you wan tto be able to see who you are considering shooting before pulling the trigger.