Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

One Weapon

Old 01-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One Weapon

ORIGINAL: coloradoprohunter

wouldn't you like blow someone's limb off or something
oh and a 12 ga at 7 yards is just gonna tickle them???
Old 01-10-2006, 11:36 PM

I saw someone say something about a 16 in. barrel. Just for your information I think that is too short of a shot gun to own by a private person. I think the shortest you can go is an 18 in. maybe the laws are different in your state...

Old 01-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw someone say something about a 16 in. barrel. Just for your information I think that is too short of a shot gun to own by a private person. I think the shortest you can go is an 18 in. maybe the laws are different in your state...
You can have them as short as you want just as long as you have an NFA stamp in your hand before you do the shortening.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 AM

Almost all tacticlly trained people agree. If you have a choice between a long gun and a handgun, the long gun is usually the better choice. You can get a tricked out tactical shotgun with extended magazine capacity and red dot sights with a surelight mounted on it and you will have a formidable weapon. The concerns of over penetration are nullified somewhat. You don't need to be a crack shot with a shotgun (ever try to hit a moving target with a handgun?) and the sound of the racking of the slide make for a deterrent as well. Although one cop I know said that if you rack the slide with an intruder in your house (in an effort to scare him) you have just given away your position.
For most of us who aren't well trained, a handgun is a rather pitiful weapon. It just happens to be better than a brick or a knife. Look at any news footage of swat and HRT teams and they usually have a shotgun, or small semi-auto rifle or pistol caliber submachine gun (IE aTactical Mossberg or Remington, An ar15 carbine, or and H&K MP% in 9mm). Thier handguns are used as backups.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

shot gun shooting steel shot, BB, 2 or 4. buddy was messing around with lead & steel one day on a car door. lead blistered and penetrated in some areas but the steel cut right through it like nothing. shot guns are obviously close range weapons so it really depends on what type of battle situation your thinking about. if it's in an urban environment (your home) go with the shot gun, auto if you could pick. you can throw lights, NVand lasers on it also.

next choice would be an AR just because of all the mods you can do to them.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:03 PM

40 good choice maybe laser grip
just my 2 cents
Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 PM

a 50 caliber bmg carrage bolted to my head board.........just kidding...a mossberg 590 home defense aint too bad loaded with 10 rounds of 00 buck shot...or possibly any good reliable handgun where thebullets wont continue traveling through your neighbor's house or your child's bedroom wall after they hit your target. So this leaves the 50 cal.bmg out of the question. but if you dont have wife or kids and your nearest neighbor lives atleast 2 miles away..... you just strapp that old bad boy to your bed posts.........I would honestly like to see the eyes of the intruder when you turned that large bore muzzlebreak at em......can anyone say deathwish 6?.....But seriously,go with a good scattergun or a reliable and controllable handgun.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd opt for a shotgun with #6 shot. Not a lot of overpenetration, but sure enough to damage an intruder within the confines of your home.

FWIW,of my current arsenal, I keep my CZ 75 9mmloaded and on the nightstand just in case.

If that doesn't work, I've got a CETME in the corner.[8D]
Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 PM

In a thread like this, somebody ALWAYS says "racking the slide of a shotgun sends the badguy fleeing in a panic", or words to that effect. Don't count on it. And, as the above poster was advised, you've just given away your position and element of surprise. Not a good idea. If you don't have a round in the chamber, lots of things can happen, and many of them are bad.

Shotguns DO need to be aimed at across the room ranges, except on TV and in the movies. Anybody ever pattern a shotgun and defense loads? At the five to seven yard mark, which is a loooooong way in most houses,your pattern is just a couple of inches wide. You definately CAN miss with a shotgun.

Buckshot is going to penetrate most common interior walls aboutas well as most handgun rounds. If you absolutely believe you MUST use buckshot, consider #4 Buck. Typically 24 pellets in a 2 3/4 inch shell. I use High Velocity #4 shot for my first two rounds in the chamber and magazine, followed by buckshot. Penetration is reduced, but at across the room distances it is deadly. I've seen two whitetails killed that were shot with #7 1/2 shot at about six yards. Nastiest wounds you ever saw, the shot charge was still an almost solid projectile.

More important than the weapon is the plan to use the weapon. Walk your house, look at the angles involved. Where do your children sleep? Where is the bathroom they go to? In the event of a breakin, can you grab your kids and fort up in a master bedroom with weapons and communication? Do you have a safe fire lane or lanes? What's your wife going to do? Is she going to freeze, or will she handle the phone and back you up with a secondary weapon? Many, many things to consider. Choosing a firearms is itemnumber one on a list of about fifty items.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know when I was growing up there were 7 kids in my family. We were as poor as you can get. So we lived in a not so great area of town. We had someone come in our house one night, my father pulled his .22 pistol out and shot at him . I will never forget how load that was in our house. It was like a bomb every shot. He hit him in the leg and yes he kept going but the other way. The police came and he was gone but they found him at the hospital 1 hour later. So from that I learned somethings ,1 my dad was a terrible shot but managed to hit him why cause no recoil.2 The sound of that .22 was enough to make him get the hell out of there hurt or not he was running 3 .You dont need a cannon to protect yourself you almost dont have to worry about that penetrating your walls of your home. I know it would be the ultimate thing to see there eyes looking down the barrel of a .44 mag or a 12 gauge. The thing you want to remember here is you are protecting yourself and your family so get it over quickly and no one getting hurt. Survive to fight another day . Usally things are over rather quickly anyway. There is onemore thing I have to say if you have never seen someone getting shot it is very horrendous so be prepared for that. Good luck and god bless

Quick Reply: One Weapon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.