Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

handgun laser sights

Old 01-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Default handgun laser sights

My wife shoots a Ruger MKII .22 semiauto pistol and has expressed interest in a laser sight. Any comments or recommendations? I have only seen the trigger guard type. Can they be adjusted for "point of impact" at a given distance, or are they just used to get the shot close?

Thanks,

KEJ
Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: handgun laser sights

Crimson Trace laser grips. They take the place of your stock grips so there is nothing hanging off the gun anywhere to break or get in the way. They are fully adjustable via two small allen head screws. They have a master on/ off switch and are activated simply by grabbing the gun to shoot it.

http://crimsontrace.com/default.asp?id=527
Old 01-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

omg look what you did bigbulls... i saw laser site questionon the guns forumand thought it soundsed interesting since i didnt know much about them and click on it then saw the link u provided. went there watched the two instructional downloads, they provide and after thati had to by one for my glock. haha.little costly but i couldnthold my self back.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:17 AM

I don't know what you want to use it for, but lasers don't work real great in bright lighting, at least they didn't used to. I played with them some years ago and sunlight or fourescent (sp?) lighting would wash the laser out pretty bad making it hard to see. In my opinion they work well for what they were made for, shooting poeple in the dark. Maybe the new ones work much better, I would check for sure before paying for them. Has she considered a red dot? Next best thing in my opinion.

Paul
Old 01-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love red dots for target shooting. Hard to beat.

Lasers are adjustable sights.
To sight in the laser, there are 2 schools of thought:

Forstationary targets at a fixed known distance, adjust the point of aim to exactly match the point of impact at the desired distance. The bullets will slightly hit high out to that distance, and low beyond it.

For combat/defensive applications, adjust the laser so that it is parallel to the bore's axis, so that the relationship between point of aim and point of impact stays consistent over a longer distance, and still keeps you within an inch or so. For pretty much the entire range of handgun effectiveness, the shot will hit a tad high for Lasermax or any other system when the laser shares the same vertical plane as the bore, and they will hit slightly high and to the left for lasergrips, where the laser is not only lower than the barrel, but to the side as well.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

they clame 15-20 feet in sunlight. and i saw a guy at the local gun shop who had one too and he said the same.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanks all,

My wife usually shoots at an indoor range. I actually did order the Crimson trace sights today from Cabelas. We'll see how it goes, they claim to be adjustable. Apparently they offer them for her single six as well. She tends to jerk the trigger a little, so I'm hoping this may help her stabalize her aim. Will try to set it up for point of aim at 50'. I know the gun shoots really well, so I'm hoping this makes her more comfortable. Might be fun to plink a few cans with just before dark as well.

KEJ
Old 01-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chazy, the Crimson Trace sights are adjustable with tiny allen screws.
Most of the other ones I've seen are done that way too.

Laser sights are a great tool to diagnose trigger control problems.
Your wife should see a huge improvement if she uses it during dry fire practice.
Just remember to use some kind of snap cap or spent shell casing for the 22, so she doesn't crack the tip off the firing pin.
Dry firingis rough on those rimfires.