Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

browning abolt problem

Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 AM

Default browning abolt problem

i recently starting having problems with my browning abolt when shooting the new accubond bullet. after firing and when opening the bolt, the bolt will not pull back without snatching it back...jams bad. i previously shot the ballistic tip and had similiar problems but not as bad as with the accubond. i haven't tried a brass type cartridge in a long time, but when i did use them i had no problems with hangups. is this a cartridge problem or what? i noticed on the hull that there were dents afterward...but not before. has anyone else had problems with winchester (silver colored) cartridges?
missed a deer on first shot and could not get another shot due to jamming. i know....should have made the first one count.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:00 AM

Default RE: browning abolt problem

Don't get upset with me, but when is the last time you throughly cleaned the rifle? I'm not talking about a quick run through but a very through and through cleaning. Also check for build up in the firing chamber. This can cause jamming as well.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM

you know, i think you were right. i have cleaned my gun before but i don't think i was aggressive enough. i got a lot of stuff out of the chamber area, possibly been overlooked previously. i am going to resight before i go back this weekend. thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 06:52 PM

i have had problems in some guns with the federal stuff not whating to eject from chamber fromthe brass swelling,but you said it was winchester right?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:55 PM

also when you clean,use some oil when finished with the cleaning,might help,lets use know.might have been real dirty and thats what cause the brass to stick after the shot do to some swelling of course.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are getting dents in your brass after firing then you either have crudd in your chamber or you have neglected it for far too long and the chamber has rusted.

If it is just dirt then clean it very thoroughly and you should be ok.

If you have enough rust to dent your brass then you need to take it to a gunsmith and have him clean it all out and polish the chamber for you. If the rust is bad enough it may have pitted the chamber walls and once polished may reveal pitting which may not be able to be removed with out creating a dangerous situation. Your only option there would be to have a thread cut off the barrel extension and rechambered for the existing cartridge, convert the gun to another cartridge but the same caliber (300 win mag from a 30-06), a new barrel, or a new gun.