Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mark V vs Vanguard Weatherby

Old 01-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Mark V vs Vanguard Weatherby

I searched for this topic here to no avail, I am going to buy a Weatherby rifle but wanted to know if anyone has any additional info on the two types that they offer. The Sub MOA vanguardrifle seems to be the logical choice, for economy*, but is there any reason to pay for the Mark V?

* economy of scale, it is a weatherby!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mark V vs Vanguard Weatherby

I can't see any reason to pay extrafor the mark V as I believe that the vanguard is just a good a rifle.I have owned both and the howa maderifle was actually more accurate than the mark Vs.However,I would not buy a vanguard in the weatherby chamberings because the 24" barrel is not long enough to take fulladvantage of the case capacity of cartridges such as the 257wby or 300wby.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:25 AM

the 300 wby was the rifle I was considering. I dont understand what you mean by "taking full advantage of the case capacity of the cartridge" I want the rifle for versatility, i would take it out for whitetail IF and only if, my primary rifle is in use by someone else, but i would also like to have the rifle for larger game out west. Are you suggesting that the vanguard would be ill-suited for those conditions because it really doesn't have that level of versatility? please explain
Old 01-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The larger the case capacity in relation to the bore size,the longer the barrel that is generally required to burn the powder.If you use a 24" barrel on a 300wby you aren't going to gain much over a 300win mag other than much more expensive factory loads ,more recoil and more muzzle blast.All ballistics provided by weatherby for the 300wby are for a 26" barrel.With a 24" barrel your velocities will be approximately 100fps less which hardly makes the 300wby worthwhile.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:03 PM

The 24" barrel makes for a real nice .300 Win Mag, which has better factory ammunition availability and generally better accuracy than the .300 Wby. Difference in performance is pretty much conversational.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:56 PM

good stuff, I guess I will take a look at the win mag vs wby mag ballistics.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

good stuff, I guess I will take a look at the win mag vs wby mag ballistics.
Just be sure that you are looking at the ballistics for the barrel length in question.Different firearm and ammunitioncompanies base their ballistics on different barrel lengths.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actionmike:

Go to www.weatherby.com and compare both actoins, or get your hands on a Weatherby catalog, or even better cycle both actions and feel the difference.One reason Iprefere the Mark V action is it has a 54% bolt lift,and the Vanguard action has a 90 % bolt lift. I wouldpurchasethis WeatherbyMark Vhttp://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976500624.htmbefore I would purchasethis Vanguard Sub MOA http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976670007.htm. I own two Weatherby Mark V's, and three friends own six more together, and all shoot well under an inch. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:09 AM

I had almost comvinced myself to get the Mark V Wby Mag until I saw that they don't provide a Synthetic / Stainless version. I hunt in bad weather sometimes and really appreciate the added benefits of the synthetic/stainless.

I am heading down to the shop today to get my hands on these guys. I will be reloading my own ammunition (courtesy of my old man), how much if any, will I be able to compensate for the 24" barrel on the Wby mag by using different powder etc.?

I guess if there is no possible way to compensate for the barrel length I will be purchasing a win mag.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess if there is no possible way to compensate for the barrel length I will be purchasing a win mag.
There is reallyno way to make up for the difference in barrel length.If I had to have a 24" barrel,I would go for the win mag.

Quick Reply: Mark V vs Vanguard Weatherby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.