Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Guns in house fire

Old 01-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Guns in house fire

I have some guns that were in a house fire and was wondering how to go about cleaning them. Should I know anything before I get started or anybody have any comments or expierances?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guns in house fire

Don't wait.
I had a fire in my garage a few years back. Anything that was metal that did not get cleaned and oiled is now very rusty.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:51 AM

You are lucky anything is left. I was up hunting at inlaws several years ago and the people's house next door burn't down. We were over the next day checking it out and could see what was left of the gun cabinet and the guns that were inside it, or what was left of them for that matter. Funny got an education of how well guns are made. The guns like the mossberg shotguns, the metal was all melted. But the remington gunsthe stocks were burnt off but the barrels and recievers were still solid.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much damage did they sustain? Is the wood severely burnt and/or charred? New stocks may be in order, or at the very least, refinished. If they were subjected to intense heat, hardness tests may be required for the barrels and/or actions. A good gunsmith should be contacted for their expertise. The restoration costs, unless you are able to do them youself, may not be worth it, depending on the actual value of the gun.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Fordfixer

You are lucky anything is left. I was up hunting at inlaws several years ago and the people's house next door burn't down. We were over the next day checking it out and could see what was left of the gun cabinet and the guns that were inside it, or what was left of them for that matter. Funny got an education of how well guns are made. The guns like the mossberg shotguns, the metal was all melted. But the remington gunsthe stocks were burnt off but the barrels and recievers were still solid.
I'd be willing to bet that the temper in the steel of any of those guns was destroyed by the heat treatment they got in the fire. It only takes 400-600 degrees F to do this.

I would NOT ATTEMPT to fire any gun that went through a fire, unless it was protected in a heat-reistant safe that was rated to temps higher than the fire produced, and that came out of the safe with NO VISIBLE DAMAGE to the wood or plastic components!!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:44 AM

Ditto - Clean them ASAP. But at the same time you have family issues to deal with first. Perhaps you should just get them into a gunsmith and have them cleaned up there.

The Rockwell hardness testing is VERY IMPORTANT. Perhaps your insurance co will take care of things for you.

Don
Old 01-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I had a house fire 30yrs ago and had 4 guns in a cabinet. None of the guns were burnt but suffered heavy smoke, the cabinet was on fire when we got them out though.I sent them to a gunsmith and had them thoughly cleaned for around $30 apiece. I am still using 3 of the guns,the other sold off as parts. It was just wore out. Tell the smith that they were in a fire though. Zeak
Old 01-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thaksn guys. One winchester semi is gone. The fire caused the bolt to expand and crack the reciever actually. One .22 is old and covered with soot and charred. I think the heat messed with the internal parts cause the trigger is hanging out and the bolt no longer works and is stuck in the open postion. The last one was a 70 dollar CVA muzzle loader which is covered in rust inside and out. Was in a deep puddle of water for days and we never saw it. Fire is nothing to mess with it spread quick and alot was lost but the hose was saved. Thanks for everyones help again.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I'd be willing to bet that the temper in the steel of any of those guns was destroyed by the heat treatment they got in the fire. It only takes 400-600 degrees F to do this.

I would NOT ATTEMPT to fire any gun that went through a fire, unless it was protected in a heat-reistant safe that was rated to temps higher than the fire produced, and that came out of the safe with NO VISIBLE DAMAGE to the wood or plastic components!!

I sold Gun Safes for over 15yrs and tried to explain this to pepole all the time. In one ear and out the other!
They thought I was full ot it![:'(]
Old 01-01-2006, 04:07 PM
bigcountry

Rebel Hog, have you ever seen any of your safes go thru a fire? I have a browning medallion. Wished I would have got a liberty due to the extra fire protection.

Quick Reply: Guns in house fire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.