Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Gun to drop them down??

Old 12-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Gun to drop them down??

A good lethal shot and good blood is for Bow Hunting in my mind. I dont want my bullet to leave have an exit wound. Id rather deer get all the shock and energy of the bullet. Less suffering that way.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 AM
DM

A good lethal shot and good blood is for Bow Hunting in my mind.
Unless you are shooting something so poorly matched to the game or you just like being unethical, you are already shooting a weapon that has power to spare!! AND, getting a good blood trail is a he** of a lot more important than leaveing every last foot pound of energy in the animial.

It may take you looseing an animial or two before you figure this out, but if you hunt long enough you "will" figure it out.

Drilling Man
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dm Ive been hunting for about 20yrs now with a rifle and on average kill about 4 a year with a gun and I havent had it happen yet.
IF you want a good blood trail stick with an arrow with a good broadhead not a 30-06.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:29 AM

A good lethal shot and good blood is for Bow Hunting in my mind. I dont want my bullet to leave have an exit wound. Id rather deer get all the shock and energy of the bullet. Less suffering that way.

I want my bullet to tear the hell out of the vitals (arteries, lungs, heart, backbone) AND make two holes. I want that critter to leak like crazy. I want a very good blood trail. Thing is, I want my bullet to make it into the heart/lung area of the deer from any angle.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:29 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Koontzy

What caliber would you chose trust to drop a deer down from 100-500 yards..... and why???? My cousin has a .270 and says with a 150 grain bullet 10 out of his 12 deer have dropped on the spot, and the other two havent went more that 15 yards... his longest shot with it was 534 yards he said... is he fibbing? what ya'all think???

Thanks
Oh, this is easy one. Any of them that can hit that heart and have the power to reach that heart. That will drop em like a hammer. Other than that, your on your own.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

"I want my bullet to make it into the heart/lung area of the deer from any angle"

Me too Ought Six I just dont want it to waste energy going out the other side. I figure once it gets in there and blows up I dont need a blood trail.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

"I want my bullet to make it into the heart/lung area of the deer from any angle"

Me too Ought Six I just dont want it to waste energy going out the other side. I figure once it gets in there and blows up I dont need a blood trail.
oh yea, your the guy who thinks its good to shoot deer with 110gr at 4K.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I have neverhad the need to shoot300-500yd shots!
Maybe out west alot of hunters do, but I like to stay under 300yds.
I have been to Colorado a few times and have taken Elk and Mulies and all were under 300yds. I can't see anyone trying to shoot anythingat a 1/4 mile and over!
These guys are shooters and not hunters, IMO.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir Im that Nut. Y4K why not I say. Has worked for me and plenty of my buds.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

I have only everdropped 2 deer in their tracks my whole life. One was with my 300rum and i held 3/4 of the way up at 320 yards and it hit their thought it dropped more but it dont and hemregedthe spine the other was an 8 point with a 300wm right under my stand spined him but between the 2 300's ive shot 25 deer or better and only dropped 2 though i have never had one go over 50 yards. two years ago i shot a doe in the heart i mean her heart was little chunks 20 yards away300wm and she still ran 40 yards.
P.s. I would much rather have blood trail then my bullet in the deer. Duck butter your statement I found ignorant you must not know any better and have learned little it seems in 20 year of hunting. 110 gr 4k? huh interesting

Quick Reply: Which Gun to drop them down??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.