Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trigger question

Old 12-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Trigger question

I just bought a Remington 700 bdl 7mag and I was wondering if there is away to sofen up the trigger a little?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trigger question

ORIGINAL: Ruttenit

I just bought a Remington 700 bdl 7mag and I was wondering if there is away to sofen up the trigger a little?
The 700 has an adjustable trigger. Doesn't the Owners' Manual have trigger adjusting instructions in it??
Old 12-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trigger Adjustment

Yes the 700 trigger is adjustable for pull weight and creep. That said, unless you are mechanically inclined and have an idea of what you are doing don't do it yourself... There are very detailed and to the point instructions several places on the internet... just do a search in google. if you are not comfortable with it either have a qualified gunsmith do the work or install an aftermarket trigger available from the likes of midway usa or brownells, etc.

Also let it be known that Remington seals all of the set screw heads on the overtravel, spring pressure and sear engagement adjustments. Once you break these, even if you "reseal" them and have to send the rifle back to remington for any reason, what-so-ever, they WILL replace the trigger assembly. Remington STRONGLY frowns on tampering with the adjustments on their triggers in any way and you will not find any publications put out by Remington on how to adjust them either.

I have all of the stock triggers on the 4 of the 700's that i own... 2 of them have been adjusted to suit me for hunting weights, 2 guns i never use and are collectables and haven't been touched... my 700 BDL varmit has a timney... a good "hunting weight" is about as low as you can go with the stock trigger (roughly 3 - 3 1/2 lbs) before it becomes very tempermental and you get erratic firing if the gun gets jarred or when closing the bolt, etc. you don't have enough spring pressure below this point to keep the sear and hammer engaged. this is why you need to know what you are doing as far as adjustments and judgement when doing this... lest you injure yourself or someone else. BUT you can adjust these triggers to break like glass...

Hope that helps a bit.. and good luck in your endeavor.

J
Old 12-17-2005, 01:38 PM

Default RE: Trigger Adjustment

what way do you turn the adjustment screw to lossen it up?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

This should help...

http://quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html
Old 12-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the price, getting a gunsmith to do it is well worth it! I've had two of mine done, andmy group sizeshave been cut by more than half!