Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

KIMBER: MONTANA???

Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 PM

Default KIMBER: MONTANA???

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Kimber rifles, (the synthetic Montana version). I would probably go for the 308 in the short action model but was also thinking of maybe the 270 WSM in the magnum version.

The cost is not the issue i was wondering about the accuracy, handling ( i know its light weight) functionality etc.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 PM

Default RE: KIMBER: MONTANA???

I bought a .300WSM Montana a few weeks ago. Out of the box it needed a trigger job and the bolt was sticking a bit. After I got those taken care of I took it to the range for barrel break-in. Accuracy was about 1.375" with factory ammo during my break-in shooting. I consider that pretty good for the first day. However, the rifle won't feed cartridges from the magazine - period. After reading quite a bit on line, I discovered that this is a common problem with the Kimbers. I have considered my options and plan on showing it to my gunsmith this Saturday. He is a great "smith" & if he thinks he can fix it I'm going to leave it with him.

I am confident that I can get this gun working good. When I do get it fixed I will be working up some handloads this winter. I plan on using it for dall sheep next August. Even after these initial problems, I believe that I will still be happy I bought it. I will let you know what my gunsmith says.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Spike

I own one purchased about i year ago in 260. I handload and it took quite a bit of work to find a load but ended up with 4 (only loaded 4) bullets touching. I did not have any bolt bind.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: swisslake

I bought a .300WSM Montana a few weeks ago. Out of the box it needed a trigger job and the bolt was sticking a bit. After I got those taken care of I took it to the range for barrel break-in. Accuracy was about 1.375" with factory ammo during my break-in shooting. I consider that pretty good for the first day. However, the rifle won't feed cartridges from the magazine - period. After reading quite a bit on line, I discovered that this is a common problem with the Kimbers. I have considered my options and plan on showing it to my gunsmith this Saturday. He is a great "smith" & if he thinks he can fix it I'm going to leave it with him.

I am confident that I can get this gun working good. When I do get it fixed I will be working up some handloads this winter. I plan on using it for dall sheep next August. Even after these initial problems, I believe that I will still be happy I bought it. I will let you know what my gunsmith says.
Holy cow swiss, sorry to hear about your luck. Especially how much you probably had to pay for it. I would seriously consider sending it back. I usually don't say that advise but for a rough bolt, and feeding, definately.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
DM

Out of the box it needed a trigger job and the bolt was sticking a bit. After I got those taken care of I took it to the range for barrel break-in. Accuracy was about 1.375" with factory ammo during my break-in shooting. I consider that pretty good for the first day. However, the rifle won't feed cartridges from the magazine - period. After reading quite a bit on line, I discovered that this is a common problem with the Kimbers. I have considered my options and plan on showing it to my gunsmith this Saturday. He is a great "smith" & if he thinks he can fix it I'm going to leave it with him.
You have a LOT more patience than i do, i'd demand my money back and that would be the end of that rifle!

A cheap rifle out of the box should need nothing more than "maybe" a trigger job, let alone anupscale priced rifle!!Your'sshould need NOTHING out of the box, let alone paying even more to your smith to get it right!

Drilling Man
Old 12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Durn, you do have a lot of patience! I had Kimber on my short list for my next rifle. I think I may reconsider now and look a little closer at aTikka.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

I would not take a dime out of my pocket to get any newly purchased gun worked on because of poor workmanship, much less one with a $1,000.00 sticker price. Have you tried to take it to the dealer and address this with Kimber??? If so what was the feedback you got?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

Durn, you do have a lot of patience! I had Kimber on my short list for my next rifle. I think I may reconsider now and look a little closer at aTikka.
Took the words right off my keyboard!
At their prices, it shouldn't even need a trigger adjustment! Much less all what you've had wrong with it!
I've been thinking about a Kimber pistol, if this is an indication of their quality, I'll look elsewhere!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

I have one in .308. It sure is light to carry, but other than that I haven't been too excited about it. I have to really work to get 1.5 MOA, which is not what I expected for $1000,"match trigger," "match barrel," and pillar bedding. The bolt is sloppy, the forearm is2" shorter than most rifles (harder to shoot offhand for most most guys),and the front sling stud pulled out of the stock. I also wish it had a 3-position safety instead of only 2-position.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

I recently purchased a Kimber in the .300WSM. I experience the opposite of what you have stated. I couldn't believe how smooth the bolt worked and how pleased I was with the trigger. I would definitely contact Kimber and see what response you get. I'm curious as to what they may do for I have had no dealings with them.

Quick Reply: KIMBER: MONTANA???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.