Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

50 cal

Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 PM

Default 50 cal

Do u have to have a ffl to purchase a 50 bmg or can i just walk in and buy one like i would a regular rifle?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Default RE: 50 cal

270 as far as I know there are no restrictions on the 50BMG (other than an outright ban on them in Californicate for whatever reason ) and you should be able to purchase one of them no differently than you would anyother centerfire rifle. You obviously can't have certain military rounds that are built for the 50 but outside of that you are "good to go" on most other fodder and Lord knows she is THE catdaddy groundpounder when it comes too centerfire rifles. I'm sure someone will get on here and tell you what an idiot you are for hunting big game with one, but that won't be me. I LOVE the 50 and in fact have a customer who is bringing me one to take out and whack some does for "just because". The ammo is rather expensive, but I already have one rifle that costs $100 a box to shoot so I am over the "sticker shock" that comes with owning such rounds.

About the only concern you might have (and it is legit) is that some ranges might not allow them for fear of it tearing up their backstops or boring holes through their steel silhouette(sp) targets!
RA
Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Spike

The ammo can be had for 125 per hundred for Military Surplus. As far as restricitions on ammo, that depends upon where you are at. Here, its legal to own and shoot AP,API,APIT,or FMJ. Many ranges restrict API or APIT for fear of setting the range on fire.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

I LOVE the 50 and in fact have a customer who is bringing me one to take out and whack some does for "just because".
RA

let me know what the results are on the doe after you shoot her with that thing. my good friend has one and we haven't had the chance to shoot a live target yet. i would not shoot a doe with it but i will blast the snot out of a wild pig when i get the chance.