Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer/Elk caliber, recoil?

Old 12-04-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Deer/Elk caliber, recoil?

I went on my first deer hunt last weekend, now I'm researching calibers for a deer rifle. I had borrowed a .223, and right before I got off the stand and left, I picked out a nice stump just to see how it shot (had never shot it before, the owner--honest guy--told me it was a tack driver), and was horrified at how 'tiny' it felt. Seemed like it wasn't sufficient to be pointing at a deer.

But anyway. I'm looking at a few calibers, okay, more than a few. Basically, here's the list I found appealing:

.270 WSM
7mm-08
7mm mag
And just about anything else

I want it to be pretty accurate out to a few hundred yards, and be suitable for mostly whitetail deer but possibly elk as well.

As far as recoil is concerned, I can shoot a 2 3/4 12ga skeet load all day and not mind it, and 3" turkey loads aren't a big deal. But I don't want something that will knock me out of the tree (I'm 6'1, and not a real big guy) .

Ideas? Also, what about the brand? I like the Winchester 700 and Remington 70, as well as the savage 10FP

thanks!

jonathan
Old 12-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer/Elk caliber, recoil?

Since you want to be able to use it for elk, I would get the 30-06. The 308 or 270 would also do double duty but the 06 would be a slightly better choice. If money was not critical I would pick up something like the 7mm-08 or 260 for deer and buy a elk rifle if you ever really need one. Its nice to have a deer rifle thats comfortable to shoot and something you can enjoy using. To much recoil is just no fun IMO.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mm-08 is great for deer and for elk out to 250 yards or so.The 7mmremmag would work well for all elk and deer hunting.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Just get an 06, you'll buy more rifles in the future but the 30-06 is a good starting point. EJ
Old 12-04-2005, 04:54 PM

I'm a small "guy" (14 years) and I use a 7mm. I had a choice between 30-06, 270, and 7mm Rem Mag and I got a 7mm just for the addedpower and range. I don't plan on shooting way out there, but when I get good enough to hit past 300 or so I won't feel undergunned. 30-06 by far has the most loads for it and shell price is very low, especially with surplus though.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:00 PM

i would say ur best bet is the .270... mainly because it has plenty of power at long distance, and doesnt blow everything to bits at close

the 30-06 would be my next choice tho
Old 12-04-2005, 07:31 PM

30-06...cheap to shoot, doesn't kick too hard, and I don't know why everyone thinks that they blow deer apart, even on my smaller WV does it doesn't do too much damange (just don't use ballistic tips)
Old 12-04-2005, 10:35 PM

Check out the Remington 700 Mountian LSS in 7mm-08 at this link. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_mountain_LSS.asp

This is a stainless & laminated stock rig that weighs in a 6 1/2 Lbs w/o scope. I think the7mm-08 is one of the best whitetail calibers out there. It has very little recoil so you can shoot all day and not get beat up, yet with the right bullets it has plenty of power to take on elk at reasonable ranges. There is quite a bit of factory ammo available and if you hand load you can really make the most of all the 7mm bullets available.

firstshot
---------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 PM

I just built a 7MM-08 for my 12 year old son. He can shoot it as easily as a .243. We are elk hunting right now. Have plenty of confidence it the gun's ability to kill an elk out to 300 yards with this load - 150 Swift Scirocco at 2750 fps. No different than the impact velocity of a 30-06 with a 180 grain Core Lokt at distance -and probably about as good of wound channel .
Old 12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jknight8907

I went on my first deer hunt last weekend, now I'm researching calibers for a deer rifle. I had borrowed a .223, and right before I got off the stand and left, I picked out a nice stump just to see how it shot (had never shot it before, the owner--honest guy--told me it was a tack driver), and was horrified at how 'tiny' it felt. Seemed like it wasn't sufficient to be pointing at a deer.

But anyway. I'm looking at a few calibers, okay, more than a few. Basically, here's the list I found appealing:

.270 WSM
7mm-08
7mm mag
And just about anything else

I want it to be pretty accurate out to a few hundred yards, and be suitable for mostly whitetail deer but possibly elk as well.

As far as recoil is concerned, I can shoot a 2 3/4 12ga skeet load all day and not mind it, and 3" turkey loads aren't a big deal. But I don't want something that will knock me out of the tree (I'm 6'1, and not a real big guy) .

Ideas? Also, what about the brand? I like the Winchester 700 and Remington 70, as well as the savage 10FP

thanks!

jonathan
The cartridges you listed are all excellent, and with premium bullets, all will kill elk with no problems, as long as you hit them in the correct spot. But this is true of any and all calibers!

The .270 Win. and the 7mm/'08 are likely to be the lightest recoiling rounds in that list. For elk, I'd use a 150-grain Nosler Partition bullet in the .270 Win., and a 160 NPJ in either of the 7mm's you listed.

Quick Reply: Deer/Elk caliber, recoil?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.