Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

? on getting a new barell

Old 12-02-2005, 06:18 AM

Default ? on getting a new barell

Hey all i have a remington modle 700 and i want to put a new barell on it and i was wondering how much it would cost and what i would haft to do to put it on? The barell i would like to get is a 300win mag or a 24 in 30-06 barell.Also how much would a 300 win mag bolt cost?thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ? on getting a new barell

you have a few options... get a blank tube with the appropriate size hole and rifling twist and have a gunsmith thread, crown, chamber and setback the barrel and install on your action... or you can go with one of the pre-threaded, chambered and crowned barrels available and then the gunsmith has to bump the shoulder back until proper headspace is achieved... if the gun is blued the barrelled action will need to be refinished...

once had a 700 rebarreled and it cost me just about as much as the rifle did... in the neighborhood of 500 bucks.. with a shilen tube

the latest rifle (700 rem) i built i did entirely myself (and i'll do all of them myself from now on - but as an advisory i am a mechanical engineer with a good number of years of machining experience)... bought a Douglas XX PTC tube and bumped the shoulder in the lathe and put her together... (not QUITE that simple, there is a fair amount of setup, disassembly and reassembly)... still had to have it blued since i don't have my bluing setup finished yet.. altogether i have about 350 bucks into this method... i resold the headspace gauges after the gun was finished and i was satisfied... the barrel was about 218 bucks in 4140 in the white... bluing was another 125 in a matte finish... so if you have it done by a gunsmith it's gonna cost about the same as method #1 by the time you pay labor...
Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 AM

Default RE: ? on getting a new barell

It sounds like you are looking for a "do-it yourself job". Everyone has their own opinions and their own budget but this is something that I would recommend sending out to a gunsmith. You will be much happier putting a premium benchrest grade barrel on your gun than you would be just screwing on a factory replacement (better accuracy, faster cleaning, and longer barrel life). A gunsmith will be able to get everything square to 0.0005 inches or less, use the bolt you have by putting on a lathe and opening the bolt face to accomodate any size case that you want, and you will be able to specify your own barrel taper, length, finish, diameter... and create a unique gun. I have stated on other posts in this forum that I can HIGHLY recommend Hollands Gunsmithing in Powers, Oregon (www.hollandguns.com). This will cost you around $600 and you will wait about 3-4 months to get it back but you will not be disappointed. By the way, you can send guns via UPS without any problems or hassles if you are sending them to a licensed gunsmith.
Just think about how much it would cost you to do this yourself: you have to buy the barrel, buy a new bolt, buy the headspace gauges to make sure the gun is safe enough to shoot, and buy a barrel vice and removal tools...