Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Snap Cap Question

Old 11-25-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Snap Cap Question

I have snap caps for the 868E that I recently bought. I had never thought about taking the pressure off of the firing pin. How ever now that I am aware of this I have a couple of questions.

Is this a practice that I should utilize for all of my firearms or is it mainly just for the over/under?

If this is something that I should do with all of my fire arm, for my BAR 30-06 con I just use a spent casing of should I buy a plastic snap cap?

This was just one of the many things that went through my mind today as I watched squirrels for 7 hours from my tree stand.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Snap Cap Question

Some people argue that you must use snap caps when dry firing a gun. If it makes you feel better then spend the money on them but they are not necessary for modern firearms.

One of the few instances a snap cap is needed is in a rim fire gun where the firing pin can impact the edge of the breech face and dent it causing damage to the edge of the chamber.

Older firearms (pre 1900) with weaker steels will also benefit from the use of snap caps.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the response bigbull. So how important is releasing the pressure off of the firing pins during storage. Should I buy a snap cap for my 10/22 and my handguns?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

What exactly do you mean "releasing the pressure off of the firing pins"?

You don't need a snap cap for handguns either.

Dry firing a gun is not going to damage it.

The only guns you really need snap caps for are rim fires and old firearms.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:32 AM

It was explained to me that storing a gun in the cocked or ready to fire postion is bad for the gun because it keeps constant pressure on the firing mechanism vs. the uncoked or fired position. I don't know, I have always just emptied the gun and stored it, which would the leave the gun in the ready to fire position. I was told this when I bought my Beretta.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with BB, most firearms are not hurt by dry firing. I don't think that leaving the pressure on a trigger will significantly weaken the trigger mechanism either!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not going to harm the springs in any way to leave them cocked. There are many SxS and O/U shotguns that must be stored cocked (when taken apart and in their case) in order to get them back together.

Another example is carrying 1911 for personal protection. The only real way to carry that firearm and have it ready to fire is in the cocked and locked position. These guns can literaly spend nearly their entire storage time in the cocked position. If it damaged the springs in any way to carry like this many people would be dead becasue of it.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:02 AM

Thanks guys. I was just concerned, so I thought that I would bring it to the forum where I knew that someone would know. Thanks again.