Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 MM Rem. Mag. or 7MM Weatherby Mag.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

The 7mmRem Mag will do every bit as good. Its also cheaper and easier to find ammo. Unless you have you are a Roy Weatherby fan and need to own one of his calibers ( I was and did for a short time), the 7 Rem is just less hassle to own. If you NEED a Weatherby rifle then I would go with the 270 Weatherby. I can tell you that the 300 Weatherby Mag recoiled noticably more than a 300 Win Mag and doesn't kill any better from my experience. I hunted with the 7RemMag, 300 Weatherby and 300 Win Mag. I now only hunt with a 270 Winchester simply because I never needed any of the magnums extra speed for any of my kills under 400 yards. Its just a matter of how much over kill are you looking for with all the magnum choices mentioned. Whatever you do, just get good glass for it.

Last edited by Mystro; 08-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although in the interests of full disclosure I don't shoot a 7mm, I do shoot both the .300 Win and .300 Wby. As many here have already stated, there's little difference between the two until you head to the cash register with your box of ammunition. I have found that the Weatherby handles heavier (and generally higher BC) bullets better, but unless you're reloading, you're likely not going to see that advantage and I can't promise that the 7mm Weatherby also possesses that characteristic.

The 7mm Remington Magnum is tried-and-true. It's one of the chamberings I seem to see stocked on the shelves even today. If it were me, I'd probably lean toward the Remington.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the kids lived at home, and money was spent, before i earned it, the one rifle in the house was a 7mm Remington. It sure worked good. When it hit elk/deer they became bad hurt. When the kids were little, an elk tag in Montana cost $1, and was purchased over the counter. For that $1 we hunted from September 15 through November, and i carried the 7 mag where ever i went every week-end. It never let me down. After the kids left, i had so much money it was unbelievable, so i spent it on all kinda fun rifles. It sure has been educational, and interesting. To me it would be silly to purchase the other magnum. The Remington 7 mag is the obvious choice. What i did , when our son decided he had to have my 7 mag, was replace it with a 280. The 280 kills elk good.

Today, if i were purchasing a new rifle, i believe it would be a 7mm-08.