Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

nikon scope problem

Old 11-16-2005, 09:40 PM

Default nikon scope problem

recently bought a new nikon prostaff 3-9-40 for my 50 cal muzzleloader....ran about 10 shots threw it with 100 grains of powder and 250 grain shockwave...and noticed the next morning when it was time to hunt that there was a crack on a lense inside the scope.....what would cause this? it doesnt really bother me but i dont want it to get worse im just wonderin if i need to ship it back off or if it was something i did
Old 11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: nikon scope problem

It sounds like there was something wrong with it. You should send it back for warranty.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Send it back....with that waranty theres no need to use a cracked scope.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 AM

it was weird, i know for a fact i didnt bump it on anything and if so still how would it crack inside and not outside? im sending it back after muzzleloader is done
Old 11-17-2005, 11:48 AM

My advice would be to immediately call their warranty number, or talk to the place you bought it. You might be surprised at how quickly they get you a new one. I've even dealt with companies that basically have no questions asked - they might even send you a new item with a mailing label to send back the old one.

My guess is that is is a defect pure and simple. It happens even with high quality products. Could be a defect in the glass, could be a defect in the assembly that puts stress on the glass. That's why they offer a solid warranty - because it happens, but with the good ones, very seldom so they don't go broke! I haven't experienced Nikon warranty, but if it's anything like my personal experience with Leupold, (just mentioned because I've always considered them comparable in quality), you will be happy. It's just too bad it happened during hunting season.