Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

QUESTION ABOUT SAVAGE MODEL 99

Old 11-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QUESTION ABOUT SAVAGA MODEL 99

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

DD, nice gun! As i've said before, the Savage 99 is very high on my wish list!
As with most other things, the 99 came in many different variations, so there will be great differences in values! Models with load counters and takedown models bring the best prices!
Jag it does have the Load Counter ...and the scope mount is a flip away style ...

DD
Old 11-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

DD, do you have an approximate SN? It might be a Model 99 R.
I believe that the safety was moved to the tang in 1960.
Does the checkering run under the bottom of the forearm? Is the top of the receiver drilled and tapped? If you take off the buttplate, is it hollowed out, or just bored for the stock screw?
I don't believe it is pre-war. Probably made in the mid 50's.
Brian
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

The checkering does run under the forarm ....has never been drilled and taped ...serial # 3516XX ....Butt plate does not look like its ever been off the gun .... thanks for any information you can give ...

DD
Old 11-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, DD. I'm pretty sure you have an early Model 99 R. Yours was made in 1936 by SN, and the fact that the checkering goes around the underside of the forearm also indicates pre1950(none made 1942-1946). The 99 R's made after 1950 were factory drilled and tapped.
The 99r did not regularly come with a flip up rear site....that was a change made later to accomodate a scope....but yours might have come from the factory that way, I don't know.
You have one of the greatest hunting rifles ever engineered, in my opinion. Everyone aught to have one or two. It is a fantastic deer rifle. Yours is not a collector, so use it. Because it has been drilled through the receiver, it is probably not worth a fortune, but getting $400 would be pretty easy, I think.
Any more questions?
Brian

Old 11-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Brian thank you for your research and the information. I had hoped that the flip style mount and the period style Weaver scope would add to the value not take away. I understand that this was the only way a pre war Savage could have a scope mounted and that this Weaver scope was fairly hard to find now days ...I was told it was made in Texas and has the steel tube and gas .... but I am sure you know what your talking about and thank you again for your time ... and yes I do plan on hunting with it ...I just hope this scope will zero in and stay that way with this flip style mount.

dd
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Doc, I think that old scopes on old guns are great. I have an old Kolmorgen scope on a first run Remington 760. It's great. But it doesn't add value to the gun. A mount like yours is drilled and tapped into the side of the receiver........which reduces the value and only allows your rifle to be a shooter. Decent shooter 99's will get $400 any day.
I am picky about my 99's. I only like models with the schnoble forearm.....models E, G, early F, EG...... a 99 snob!
Brian
BTW, I was talking about the flip up rear site, not the scope mounts. That site is either not original, or factory original but not normal.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Brian thank you again my friend ... I am going to look for a couple more of these .... you have any suggetions ...Im not really a gun collector BUT I sure like this rifle and would like to buy a couple just to put up so coach me a little ..

dd
Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you are interested in 99's, then you should buy Douglas P. Murray's book The Ninety-Nine A History of the Savage Model 99 Rifle. It is the best source of 99 info out there, and there are a LOT of irregularities and things that don't match like they should. Like your folding rear site...it doesn't belong on a rifle made in 1936.
But if you like how they look and how solid they lock up and how well balanced they are, look around and find some more. Their value has really jumped in the last 4-5 years.
I am not an expert by any means. But I look at the SN of every 99 I see and memorize all the features and then look it up when I get home to figure what model I was looking at. I picked up an EG with a Lyman peep on it last summer for $300. Well used, but all original. The guy was happy to get $300. I would have paid more.
Brian
Old 11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: QUESTION ABOUT SAVAGE MODEL 99

(Pop Up)
Savage 99 300 Savage
GA# 976656640

$459.00

Savage 99 Lever Action Chambered in 300 Savage. Serial # 5786XX Early 1950’s production. Walnut stock with checkering, BLued reciever and barrel, case colored lever. Blueing is worn from age and use, stocks are solid- no cracks- Left side of receiver and stock top where they meet has some scratches from another rifle laying on it during transport.
Seller: HUNTER’S HIDEOUT
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 352
Old 11-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: QUESTION ABOUT SAVAGE MODEL 99

Bet you wished you had this one!

[size=3 black’]Custom Rifles[/size]

(Pop Up)
Griffin & Howe
GA# 976614662

$12,450.00
Custom Savage 99 Takedown .300 Sav. 24"bbl with full-band front sight. Figured English walnut with horn FET, Supergrade swivel bases, point-pattern checkering and with checkered sidepanels and teardrops, engraved PG cap, beaded pancake cheekpiece, vacant silver oval and checkered trapdoor buttplate containing receiver peep sight. 14" pull. Lyman A
Seller: HALLOWELL & CO.
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 406

Quick Reply: QUESTION ABOUT SAVAGE MODEL 99

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.