Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What I hate about some slugguns

Old 11-16-2005, 10:15 AM

Default RE: What I hate about some slugguns

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Hard to say without shouldering one
Strongly suggest it, especially with one that has a scope mounted to it. IMO Remington did a good job designing their monte carlo. Fits just right for me.

There must be a gun shop in your area that you could try it. I doubt you will be disappointed.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the same 870 slugger as Digi, and the MonteCarlo stock on it works for me. Looking at some pics on Rem's site, the top of the stock shares a line with the bottom of the barrel, just like in their 700 series rifles. Can't be too far off.

Hereare the Rem stocks...

[align=left]Model 870™ Synthetic Monte Carlo Stock & Fore-Ends
• Fits Remington Model 870 shotguns
• All weather fiberglass reinforced synthetic stock
material
• Monte Carlo stock ideal for turkey/deer hunting
• Rear swivel stud attached for easy addition of
sling with Universal Mag Cap installation
• R3 Recoil pad to manage recoil[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]Model 1100™ & 11-87™ Synthetic Monte Carlo Stock & Fore-Ends
• Fits Remington Model 1100 & 11-87 shotguns
material
• Monte Carlo stock ideal for turkey/deer hunting
• Rear swivel stud attached for easy addition of
sling with Universal Mag Cap installation
• R3 Recoil pad to manage recoil[/align]

[align=center][/align]

Model 7400™ Synthetic Monte Carlo Stock & Fore-Ends
• Fits Remington Model 7400 rifles
material
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg has two solutions.
One is a stock with two interchangeable cheek pads....

DUAL-COMB® STOCK
a Mossberg
® exclusive

Developed with the ever-increasing number of scoped shotgun shooters in mind, the Mossberg "Dual-Comb" stock system will help you better set your sights on deer, turkey, clay birds and all your future trophies.
There's no doubt that consistent accuracy requires a consistent aiming position, but as the diagram illustrates, sighting heights for vent rib field barrels and scoped barrels are substantially different.

High and low Dual-Comb inserts provide the correct sighting height and they furnish a consistently solid "cheek-weld" to the stock.

Notice the consistent comb-to-eye distance of references "A & B" - even when the distance of "C" is substantially increased when a scope is used.

When firing a scoped shotgun without a high comb, only a small portion of the chin touches the stock. The result is inconsistent positioning (head wagging) and an understandable tendency to "jerk-the-trigger." The bottom line's the same - accuracy suffers.
Dual-Comb stock inserts are not just an "add-on."
The Dual-Comb stock design employs a thick aluminum base that is permanently fastened into a specially machined wood stock. Each Dual-Comb insert is securely mounted to the aluminum base by two molded positioning pins and a large bolt providing a sturdy, reliable sighting platform from season to season.

Dual-Comb® stocks are available on selected Mossberg® pump action shotguns or as an accessory:
#95059 Honey Satin finish for 12 gauge, 500®, 835® and Maverick® 88 models.
#14676 Woodland Camo finish for 12 gauge above.
#14764 Honey Satin finish for 20 gauge, 500® models.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg's other idea is stock spacers to change the angle of the entire buttstock. The system can raise it up to 1/2". Not sure how it would feel on the shoulder, but at $20, it's an inexpensive option.

Stock Drop Spacer System
For a better fit and better scores !
Considering that one gun does not fit all shooters, Mossberg® designed this new “system” of Stock Drop Spacers. It’s an easy and efficient method of bringing the comfortable fit of a custom stock within every shooter’s reach.
[align=center]
Spacers are inserted between the stock and the receiver.[/align]Each set includes (4) specially contoured nylon resin spacers. These enable you to raise or lower the vertical angle of your stock in controlled personalized increments, from a ¼” overall drop, up to a ½” rise. Spacers fit all our 835® Ulti-Mag® and 500® pump action, wood or synthetic, 12 gauge shotguns.

Spacers are marked (these were painted) for raising the comb +3/8", +1/4", +1/8", or lowering the comb -1/4". If you wish to raise the comb 1/2" (1/2" is the maximum Mossberg recommended height) insert both the +3/8 and the +1/8" spacers.

"LOP" a little short? Insert both the +1/4" and the -1/4" spacers to increase the "Length Of Pull", it might be just enough. [align=center]#95091.....$17.99 suggested retail[/align]
Old 11-16-2005, 11:37 AM

I bought my wife a Remmy 1100 12ga 2 3/4"that came with a matte finish, cantilever barrel, and monte carlo stock. I ordered it last summer brand new, and the cost was $515. It is a great gun. The recoil is very manageble for her. And the stock is better than most. My Mossberg 695 is too low as well. But I deal with it. I just wish Remington had not discontinued this 1100. I wanted to pick one up. I guess I will just have to drop the extra dough for the 11-87 deer gun.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:52 PM

I don't know if anyone has noticed but Remington dropped their SPS deer guns for 2005. Remington decided to take the basic 870 Express and 1187 Sportsman and threw the synthetic monte carlo stock and forearm, cantilever slug barrel on it and their matte finish is more coarse than on the SPS's. Also they don't come with the R3 recoil pad (basically a limb saver (they make it) recoil pad).

That is what my 870 is, the 870 SPSslug gunwith 23" "Super Slug" barrel butwith out the recoil pad, the special purposename and a "crappier" matte finish. I don't care, Ihave the sameperformance for a cheaper price. I think that wasthe ideabehind dropping the SPS deer guns, tobe competitive with their competition.

Longrifle-if you search around you can still find NIB 1100's like you want. I think they just discontinued themstarting this year just like the SPS deer guns. I found one on gunsamerica, check it out.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976543326.htm

BTW-It is djgj. I know you can't really tell they are j's because of the underlining.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

I got a rifled slug barrel for my SBE II with comfortech and I wanted to put the raised comb insert on the stock and it cost $75 and no one had them. I spent $25 on one that straps on the stock. I am very happy with the gun it is very accurate with the 3/4 oz Barnes xpanders.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:41 PM

My biggest complaint on my 870 is the TRIGGER!!!! It may be an exceptionaly BAD trigger but the thing is H-E-A-V-Y and "gritty". Not too bad with wingshooting but at the flinch factor of slugs and the effort to be more precise...it's a nasty mixture.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Mossberg,

DUAL-COMB® STOCK TROPHY SLUGSTER®
Dual-Comb stock details

# 54232 12 ga. Pump action Trophy Slugster®, Dual-Comb®, wood stock, blued metal finish, ported 24" Fully Rifled Trophy Slugster® barrel w/ integral scope base. (scope not included)