Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Reducing Recoil ???

Old 11-11-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Reducing Recoil ???

I am in the process of putting together a .375 H&H rifle, and obviously I don't want to get the balls beat off of me. My question is what are the best measures to reduce recoil?

If anyone has any experience with any of these products please reply!

Pachmayr F990 recoil pad

Mercury recoil suppressor

Mag-Na-Port mag-na-brake (threads on the end of the barrel)

Mag-Na-Porting (standard slots cut in barrel itself)
Old 11-11-2005, 06:58 AM

Default RE: Reducing Recoil ???

Pachmayr makes great recoil pads. Porting into the barrel itself doesn't reduce kick as much as threading a muzzlebrake on, but the noise will be very loud. Make sure everyone near is wearing earplugs before you fire one with a muzzlebrake.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:35 AM

Some of the newer recoil pads do great job. Also the more the gun weighs it will handle recoil better. Sometimes it is just a design of the stock. Some designs and types of wood transer recoil harder for some reason. How the gun fits you makes a bit difference as well.

Brakes work, but are not that pleasant to shoot due to the noise levels, especially on bigger guns.

My advice is if you get a gun you think you need to put a brake on, just get a smaller more manigable caliber. Also keep in mind you can get gun rests for sighting in that soak up recoil. This is the only time it should really be an issue. I doubt you will notice when you actually hunt with it.

I shot my buddies 3 1/2 inch magnum turkey gun before and was not impressed. However I used it hunting once and didn't notice it all.

Paul
Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 AM

I am aware that the muzzle brake makes the rifle report much louder than it would be without the brake, but hopefully through the use of the recoil pad, and the the mercury recoil suppressor I won't need to install one.

As far as selecting a smaller caliber that is not an option. This gun will be used for dangerous game, and some African game where a .375 H&H is the minimum legal caliber.

Thanks for all of the input so far. Any information on the mercury recoil suppressor would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:12 AM

I have used all of the mentioned products at one time or another. The best recoil pad is a Simms. Pacmayer is good. Magnaporting is not as effective as an expansion chamber muzzle brake. And there is sometimes a gas cutting issue at the front of the slots that can have a detrimental effect on accuracy. The mercury cylinders soak up a lot of recoil, but make the gun not only quite a bit heavier - but also screw up the balance of the weapon. The gun becomes very butt heavy. Not good for quick shots.

I would recommend staying away from a lightweight gun in this caliber. Get a rifle that weighs about ten pounds with scope and all. Put a Simm's Vibration Lab recoil pad on it. Do your sighting in and load development off of a Caldwell Lead Sled. Forget the Magnaport and the mercury.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If all else fails get yourself a PAST recoild sheild and a mouthpiece.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hate muzzle brakes and try to talk people out of them when I can.

Simms and Pachmyr both make excelent recoil pads that soak up a lot of recoil.

Mercury recoil reducers do work. In my best guestimation I would say that one will take out about 10% of the felt recoil. AS far as the ballance goes you can put one in the butt and there is also a long skinny reducer that is specifically made to be bedded under the barrel.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6728&title=RECOIL+REDUCTI ON+SYSTEM

IMHO stock fit is by far the most important aspect of minimizing felt recoil. Second would be a sheer weight of the rifle and third is a good recoil pad. Muzzle brakes should be installed as a last resort IMO.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:49 AM

Thanks for the quality info about the mercury reducer that fits under the barrel! Any more hints or tips?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Buy a lead sled. best way to practice with larger guns. Here in Fla were we shoot it t-shirts it saves me from bad habits before I can get up north
Old 11-14-2005, 03:11 PM

I use a good recoil pad and managed recoil orunds in my 7mm Mag. I also reduced the bullet weight I was using and it help quite a bit for me.

Quick Reply: Reducing Recoil ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.