Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is up with the 7mm mag.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is up with the 7mm mag.

I've shot a few deer with the 7mm Rem. Mag. None have travelled over a foot or two after the bullet landed. My only complaint was that on quartering shots, if the bullet got to a ham or off shoulder, that quarter was rendered inedible. The most recent elk I shot with a 7 Mag. (175-grain Nosler Partition) was hit on the point of the shoulder where it joins the neck, as it was walking toward me, angling off to my left about 30 degrees. That bull hit the ground so fast, he bounced, according to my hunting partner!

At first, I lost sight of him because he had slid down behind a blowdown, and his two buddies ran circling off to my right. I almost shot one of them, because I though one waswas my bull running off! It wasn't, however.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

I think that core-lokt bullets have probably taken more deer over the years than any other bullet.
...CoreLokts are like 30-30's, people shoot them because they are cheap.
ooooh I'm going to need some ointment for that burn! How can spending more money on gun or ammo improve over a 30-30 pushing a corelokt (or equivalent) for say, a 150 yard or less shot at a white tail. Will there be any actual performance improvement that will actually affect success in any situation in that range? Please tell me, I really want to know if I'mbeing ignorant and cheap.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:10 PM

I love my 7mm mag. I reload my own ammo. I use 139gr. SPBT Hornady loaded at a lower velocity.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yathem 7 mags ain'tno good. I shot this gaffer last month with 140 gr Barnes out of my 7mm rem mag. He made me dig outthem tracking skills. 2 steps is long ways when your in the bush ya know!!!! That's it I am done with this pee shooter!

You might consider a 50 BMG for them NY Whitetails? Or maybe buying a range pass would be a better plan!