Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Brand New Savage 116 FCSS - Impressive!

Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Brand New Savage 116 FCSS - Impressive!

A friend picked up his new Savage 116 FCSS (Accutrigger and detachable clip stainless synthetic) in 300 Win Mag. Sighted it in at the range yesterday. He is a very novice shooter andwe were in a rush, brutal weatherwith wind and rain. 2 shots to get it near center at 150 yrds, then he managed a 2"group with the next 3 winchester failsafe factory loaded shells. He was very happy and I was pretty impressed.

That was my first exposure to a Savage, for the money I believe the rifle is a steal. It has a 3 way safety, half decent stock, smooth bolt, detachable metal clip and the accutrigger is very crisp. My only criticisms is the receiver machining looks a little rough, sliding the bolt into the receiver requires pulling the trigger and depressing a lever while holding the barrel towards the ground, gravity to help thebolt slide (something I'm not used to with my Tikka's and Sako's) and lastly not all scopes will fit on this long action with two piece bases for detachable rings (not really an issue for everyone). My buddy is looking for a scope rail so he can switch between his moose and deer scopes.

This rifle for the price is hard to beat.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brand New Savage 116 FCSS - Impressive!

I have a 116 also in the 7mm-08 that I use for long range woodchuck hunting..500+ yards! The accuracy is execelent...
Old 11-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Brand New Savage 116 FCSS - Impressive!

I could not agree more. There is no better value out there than the Savage. Its been a fact more more than a few years.