Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

45-70

Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 45-70

See it all evens out. Look at my beater truck I drive everyday and see your monster truck. Shoot man, I would have to start buying bushnells if Ihad topay for gas for thebigfoot you drive. Oh, and don't forget about the monster expedition, and bronco, and that rice grinder you just got.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
bigcountry

fine looking rig there josh. Not sure what your huntin at night there. But fine looking rig.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

THe light isn't for hunting at night, its for that long walk back to the truck when fishing, or the walk out to the ****ter late at night, maybe even for the occasional tracking job that runs into the night. I like to be able to see what is making that rustling sound in the brush late at nigth and sometimes its nice to be able to see it while pointing a gun at it. When its mostly dark half the year lights can come in really handy. These tracks were less than 30 yards from my tent while moose hunting this year. I'm sure he must have been prowling around fairly close while I was making my latenight trip to the john.

This is my size 13 boot print for scale.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can also tell you that the buffalo bore rounds are bad a$$. I just cant seem to make them myself. About your scope why not just get some quality open sights and practice with them ? I have a 45/70 and I can tell you at 100 yards I am deadly with williams open sights. Just a thought.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:57 AM

I looked at a nice burris scout scope that i really like and also the luepold scout scope I think I like the burris better it had longer eye relief but not sure if it is as good well Im in no rush to get it but was thinking about bear season i shoot open sights now no problem but enjoy a nice scope
thanks for all the advice
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Josh nice setup and nice pic of the tracks I lived in Anchorage when i was a kid and my dad had a light on his gun for the same reasons
Old 11-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have a pair of the luepold scout scopes. I'm really impressed with the leupolds quality and durability. Thats not to say that the burris isn't equally as nice, I just haven't used one. I really like the heavy post reticle for the 45/70, its easy to find and shows up great in low light and against brushy backgrounds. I have several burris scopes and have always liked thier quality, but you can't get the heavy post reticle in them.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks again josh you may have just changed my mind im going to look at both of them again
Old 11-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

This is the reticle style I have on my 45/70. I really like it for fast close work but you can still aim fairly accurately out to 200 yards.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 PM
bigcountry

Ok, first off never been to Alaska, but, I do know a lever gun is handy. If you put a scope on it, it ceases to become so handy. Now,I have a low powered one on my 45-70 too for load development.

If I was to go so far as to add a light to it for protection, I think I would have some ghost ring sights. Just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.