Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun rusting

Old 10-24-2005, 02:56 PM

Default gun rusting

i went out for the pa jr. deer hunt last saturday. i t was raining like crazy. after the day was over, i set it by the heater to dry. i thought i had gotten it all dry, but i guess i didnt. i took the stock off, and the trigger mechanism was starting to rust. anyone have any solutions on hw to get it off. how about how to prevent it next time? thanks
hacimsaalk
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: gun rusting

Don't fear. Just spray it down with remoil. I always keep it in my truck while hunting as I was also out there in the pouring rain all weekend. After hunting, I dry and then I just spray down the sensitive metal parts withrem oil. If you got a wood stock gun/blue, might want to be more careful. Don't want all that oil in your stock.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 PM

What bigcountry said.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Clean the rusted areas with 0000 steel wool and then oil.

To keep it from happening again, keep the gun well oiled before going out and if it rains, come home and IMMEDIATELY remove the stock, dry EVERYTHING and then re-oil.

It is a pain sometimes, but very well worth it.

Kev
Old 10-26-2005, 12:05 PM

^^^What he said, I do thatwith myguns anytime I shoot, regardless of weather. I dont sleep until all the guns are clean and ready to go the next time I go to the range, its a bad Army habit that my guns love me for.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do noy spray any oil or lubricant where it can run down into the bedding.I have seen groups double or triple after oil flowed between the bedding and the action.Once the action and stock were cleaned to remove the oil the accuracy returned to normal.Also do not spray oil into the trigger mechanism as it can gum things up and cause problems.Spray the oil on a rag and use it to wipe down the metal surfaces.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer to use Sheath I have never had a rusting problem while using it I hope this helps chad
Old 10-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hacimsaalk

how about how to prevent it next time? thanks hacimsaalk
Coat all metal surfaces with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH before you go hunting, and again after cleaning the rifle thoroughly!! No more rust!