Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What kind of accuracy should I expect from a 30-06?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:06 AM

Default What kind of accuracy should I expect from a 30-06?

I went to my grandpas to practice with the gun I'm gonna be deer hunting with. It's a old Woodsmaster in 30-06, iron sights no scope. I was shooting about 3 inch 4 shot groups at 100 yards. I was shooting at a bottle cap and hit it once. I thought that was good accuracy but I wanted to make sure.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What kind of accuracy should I expect from a 30-06?

That is probably good enough to reliably take a deer.

What position were you shooting from? For offhand that would be pretty fair. For bench shooting that isn't so good, but shooting with iron sights is difficult. There are a lot of variables. The .30-06 cartridge itself, however, can be very accurate -- when all other conditions are controlled (gun, load, shooter, wind).
Old 10-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Off the bench with a good rest the old gun should do 2-3 inch groups. That is if the rifle is still in good condition. Their are a few problems with the old auto loader Remingtons.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:55 AM

There are a lot of factors that go into it. It is what it is pretty much. How well does someone else shoot it? Better or worse? Those certainly are not great groups off from a bench, but then they are open sights. I personally don't shoot that great with open sights. Could be the ammo choice as well. Some guns prefer a certain ammo to shoot thier best.

If that was off hand it's pretty good in my book. Plenty good enoug to kill deer.

Paul
Old 10-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Using iron sights and shooting a semi-auto like the Remington I would say that is pretty good. If you were to scope the rifle with even just a 4X you would probably half the group size.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

3", 4 shot groups w/ iron sights at 100yds w/ a semi-auto Woodsmaster= I think that's good accuracy for the rifle and a good job on your part to boot!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:29 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: tykempster

I went to my grandpas to practice with the gun I'm gonna be deer hunting with. It's a old Woodsmaster in 30-06, iron sights no scope. I was shooting about 3 inch 4 shot groups at 100 yards. I was shooting at a bottle cap and hit it once. I thought that was good accuracy but I wanted to make sure.
Man, don't let any of these guys tell you different. If they do they are full of it. But 3" groups open sighted is very good. Even off bags.

I hear alot of people blow some serious hotair, but don't take them too seriously. Best groups they shoot is on the internet.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 PM

I was shooting 150 grain PP, my grandpa said "thats the best there is, you dont need nothin else"[:@] He had some 180s, but he though 150 would be the best so thats all I shot. I'm goin back to shoot another box next weekend, we'll see what happens then.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that's very acceptable considering the rifle, the open sights, factory ammo,etc.. I shoot an old model 1891 7.65mm Mauser with open sights and I'm quite happy with 3 or 4" groups at 100 yards, although I can sometimes do quite a bit better. Just remember to keep your hunting distance reasonable........100 yards max. or thereabouts. Of course, closer would be better. BTW, the 150 gr. bullet should be fine.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:34 PM

Hello Tyke.... I agree with the rest, however, the rifle is capable of doing better. When is the last time this rifle was cleaned.....I mean scrubbed???? Get yourself some wipeout and foam the barrel for 24 hours. Run patches til clean and dry. Then brush with Butches bore shine 20 strokes and patch til dry, then shoot the Wipeout and let sit for 24 hr, then patch til dry......Then shoot some targets and post the good news!!!! Regards, Rick.

Quick Reply: What kind of accuracy should I expect from a 30-06?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.