Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy and the Non-Bolt-Action Rifl

Old 10-05-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Accuracy and the Non-Bolt-Action Rifl

Here is another great article on sixgunner’s web site about Accuracy and the Non-Bolt-Action Rifle. It's a great read. Many think that the bolt action is the only way to go these days. Often, we think that all other action types are second best and wont even think that there are other action types worth thinking about. I know, I was once one of them.

I changed sense buying my daughter a Marlin 336 30-30. I am having fun shooting again. At one time, my closet had nothing but bolt actions. I was missing out. Sure glad I don't feel that way any more. I like them all and hunted with a Lever action for the first time this year.

My Marlin 336D in 35 Remington shoots "1" three shot groups at 100 yards with factory Winchester 200 gr. Power points. I can hardly believe it myself!

http://www.sixgunner.com/mcpherson/n...n_accuracy.htm

Hornet Man

Hornet Man

Edited by - Hornet man on 10/05/2002 12:32:06
Old 10-05-2002, 12:54 PM

Default RE: Accuracy and the Non-Bolt-Action Rifl

You better hang on to that one. Most of them sure won't do it. I read the article to, but I'll stick with bolt actions when I need accuracy. I've seen accurate examples of pumps, autos, single shots, and lever guns, but you won't find anything but bolts on the benchrest range.

Edited by - diyj98 on 10/05/2002 13:57:49

Edited by - diyj98 on 10/07/2002 08:11:19
Old 10-06-2002, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of non-bolt actions will shoot very well. It is a little harder to tune a rifle with a two-piece stock and various things hanging off the barrel/forend (like magazine tubes, etc.), to get it to shoot really well. But it can be done.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-06-2002, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several different types of actions that are accurate.The Ruger "Number 1" is one example. Just about all I have ever seen will drive tacks.The Browning BAR's are accurate. I think Bolt Actions do have a slight edge on accuracy.The rifle is just part of being accurate.The ammo being used. Some rifles might like one type or brand of ammuntion where others don't.The most important part and deciding factor is the shooter.A gun can only be as accurate as the shooter.I have rifles with all different types of actions. I prefer BA's only because I'm more comfortable using them and have used them for a long time.Whatever rifle or action you use good luck this Hunting season. Main thing is hunt safely and enjoy yourself. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:19 PM

how important is the differance in accuracy anyway? are 3/4" groups really needed in a typical deer or bear rifle? I have a .25-06 that shoots just about everything i put in it under an inch. It averages its favorite loads around 3/4". I also hunt with a marlin .45-70 that until this fall grouped around 2" I don't see any advantage inside 200yds.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

In some hunting situations you want the most accurate gun possible. If I have to take a shot at an antelope at 300 yards, I want my .264 win mag. bolt action with the 3 to 9 scope turnned up to 9. I want a solid rest and I should make the shot if the wind isn't too bad and...and...

In some situations the most accurate gun could be a real disadvantage. If I am crawling through a thick jungle hoping to get a shot at a whitetail as it leaves its bed and runs off, I want a lever-action 30/30 or a shot barreled 308 semi-auto (or a short barreled 12 ga. slug gun) with a low power scope or a peep sight on it. Fast handling and a quick follow up shot are more important than pinpoint accuracy in this case.

Robin

Old 10-07-2002, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

90+ % of the sporting/ hunting rifles out there are bolt actions... what that means i dont know... various things, but dosnt mean a bolt gun is more capable of shooting better just because - esp in factory form.( Just my opinion)
Single shots ,pumps, lever & semi autos etc work too( sure not everone of them is a good shooter either)
Sometimes its nice to have diffent guns/actions/& a diffent cal for diffent tasks too, like others have said here.

I know my rem pump 270 has limitations as a pumpgun, not as much caming power like a bolt etc.. but bullets& cases should fit a gun well to begin with...& its about as free floating a barrel as you will get with a rifle barrel. Even if it does have a 2 piece wooden stock, the forend slides on steel rails & non/ no wood contact at all to barrel.
>><'> <--- but likes all kinds a guns.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:21 PM

one-eye I had to check your profile to see where in the world bolt actions comprised 90% of the hunting rifles. In northern MI I would guess its alot closer to 50%. Still alot of winchester and marlin levers in the woods and the rem 740/742/7400 is everywhere up here.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right there are regional & geograpic varations on what actions are used where .. but ment overall - most rifles sold are bolt guns. 90% was just a guesstamate. I personaly dont have a problem using any action rifle no mater what the local is, or someone elses opinion ,long as it works.
><'>
Old 10-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

But here (wy) id say most all big game rifles i have seen have been bolt rifles(& no local law restrictions to most other actions either).. that be about 90- 100% bolt guns here .
><'>

Quick Reply: Accuracy and the Non-Bolt-Action Rifl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.