Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady SST

Old 10-20-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Hornady SST

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the SSTs on deer sized game. Right now I use core-lock factory loads (i'm thinkin about having my future father-in-law make up some hand loads for me) Are the SSTs a rapid expansion bullet a high penetration bullet or somewhere in between. I'm from West Virginia so a lot of my shot are close up...but then when you get in a field they can be 200-250 yards. Also do you think the boat tails make a big difference. Thanks

Shep

by the way, i'm shooting a 7mm-08 (and possibly start loading my 06 also)
Old 10-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady SST

I use the Spire Point Interloks. I like them better than all of thebullets that I have shot. They are a good all around bullet and I have put everything down that I have shot at with them, from deer to oryx.

They are cheap and very reliable. I use them in all of my guns. I dont know much about the new SST's becouse I have no reason to change what I am shooting now. Group is great and cost is low.

Hope it helps.
hunter338
Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can’t comment on the performance of the bullet on game but I just tried some 139 gr., 154 gr., and some 162 gr. SSt for my 7mm-08. They didn’t shoot very well in that the groups were larger then I liked at 100 yards. All three bullets were loaded with the same powder so I will have to try something else but I did get the velocity that was printed in the book. I’m going to experiment next year with the SST bullets.... I was getting good groups with the 160 gr. Sierra Game King but would rather go with a lighter bullet so I’ll try the 140 gr. Nosler Accubond for this year.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 PM

The SST is pretty much the hornady "version" of the ballistic tip. It is primarly for deer sized game. Im loading up with 165 grain SST's in my 06 for this upcoming deer season. They are shooting nice groups out of my gun. The Interbond is pretty much the hornady "version" of the accubond. It is a bonded bullet with a polymer tip and suitible for game such as elk and moose.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 PM

I have killed three animals with the .270 130 gr. SST: antelope, deer, and elk. The load is going 3370 fps out of my .270 Ackely Improved.

The antelope was about 250 yards broadside and the bullet hit his ribs and passed through. Buck ran about 50 yards and piled up.

The deer was a 180 class whitetail buck at a ranged 411 yards - looking at me from the other side of an alfalfa field. Bullet hit the front of his chest, penetrated through one lung, went through the diaphram, and wound up just under the hide in the flank. It had lost almost all its core and just the jacket remained.

Elk was a mature cow elk broadside at about 150 yards. Shot hit her in the shoulder and the bullet came apart without making it into the chest. Had to shoot her again in the neck.

Based on these results, I don't think they hold together quite as well as the regular Interlock. I have not tried the Interbond yet on game - theygroupedpoorly out of my rifle.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I have killed three animals with the .270 130 gr. SST: antelope, deer, and elk. The load is going 3370 fps out of my .270 Ackely Improved.

The antelope was about 250 yards broadside and the bullet hit his ribs and passed through. Buck ran about 50 yards and piled up.

The deer was a 180 class whitetail buck at a ranged 411 yards - looking at me from the other side of an alfalfa field. Bullet hit the front of his chest, penetrated through one lung, went through the diaphram, and wound up just under the hide in the flank. It had lost almost all its core and just the jacket remained.

Elk was a mature cow elk broadside at about 150 yards. Shot hit her in the shoulder and the bullet came apart without making it into the chest. Had to shoot her again in the neck.

Based on these results, I don't think they hold together quite as well as the regular Interlock. I have not tried the Interbond yet on game - theygroupedpoorly out of my rifle.
Roskoe, considering the situations (rifle, velocity, game and shot)and factoring in the design of the SST I would say they did a pretty darn good job. I mean the SST isn't supposed to hold up better than the interlock, it is of a completely different design/function. Like mentioned the SST is an answer to the Nosler Ballistic Tip...which would also bepushed to the enth degree if used in the last 2 situations. Not trying to be a bonehead but this is how rumors fly on the internet, cafes and sporting good stores about bullet failures.

My gosh fellas do your homework and understand the design/purpose of the bullet.

It'll get the job done if you do yours. I personally prefer the NBT, it is more accuratenor has it ever failed me on many deer and antelope harvests.

Old 10-21-2005, 06:17 AM

I started using the Hornady 150 grain SST's in my .308 last year. They shoot great in my T/C 24" barrel. I shot two deer with them last year and the bullet performed excellent. The 8 pointer ran about 40 yards, broadside double lung shot, both lungs were destroyed. The doe just fell over with a quartering shot.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 165 gr. SST shot very well in my .300 Weatherby with H1000 and I shot one deer with this load 2 or 3 years ago. The load was not a full charge, velocity at the muzzle was only around 3,050 fps instead of the 3,300 fps I usually get with a 165 gr. bullet. The deer I shot was about 20 yards away and I shot it right through the rib cage. The exit wound was about 1.5" in diameter. The deer stumbled around and fell about 10 yards from where I shot him and blood covered the ground all around. I haven't used this bullet since then, though, and to be honest I don't have a real good reason why. I guess I just have more peace of mind using a more heavily constructed bullet in this particular rifle.

BTW, I never could get the SST to shoot very well in the other rifle I tried it in, my 7mm Rem Mag.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:13 AM

I was not necessarily knocking the SST. The amount of expansion I got at over 400 yards was considerable on that deer - kinda left me wondering what would have happened at 40 yards. And I have used the regular interlocks in this caliber and found them to be a little tougher. Not a lot. I never really expected the SST to be able to shoot clear through both shoulders of an elk - was actually aiming for the lungs.

But these three scenarios will give someone an idea of what this bullet will and won't do, I believe. The Hornady Interlock, according to Hornady, is designed for animals up to the size of zebra. I would say the SST is for critters up to the size of a deer.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

I used the 150gr SST's in my 300 Win Mag last year. I shot a good size whitetail buck quartering towards me through the shoulder at only 40 yards. It blew the shoulder apart, baseball size hole through the ribs, took out both lungs, severed the heart. 3 fragments went through the ribs on the far side and the biggest was the base of the jacket. I was impressed with it's performance and it was a quick kill but I know it wasn't designed for that scenario. It isn't the most accurate bullet in my rifle either (tried it again today and got a 1.5", 4 shot group at 100yds).

I tried the 165gr Interbonds today and the groups and trajectory are much better; under an inch at 100yds, 2.5" at 300yds and only 6" low with a 200yd zero. I'm VERY impressed...and this is just Hornady factory ammo.

Anyway, hope the SST info helps!

Quick Reply: Hornady SST

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.