Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun choices

Old 10-18-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Shotgun choices

Does anyone know of a company that makes a youth 12ga pump? my wife wants a good slug gun but she is too small for any of my mossbergs. If notI wonder if I could just order a shorter stock.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Shotgun choices

How small is she? Mossberg makes about the best one I think. Has she actually looked at the youth model 12 gauge? It has a short length of pull and the pump is closer to the reciever. Not to mention they port them and give you three chokes with it.

I was looking at youth models when I got mine and it was the smallest I found. H&R might have one smaller, but I don't know about 12 guage. As a matter fact when I was looking mossberg had the only 12 guage youth model. I don't know if others make them, but I didn't see them in stock anywhere.

Paul
Old 10-18-2005, 02:48 PM

Oh, missed where you said SLUG gun. I would look at a 20 guage H&R ultra.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=17

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3138404

I own the Ultra deluxe in 12 gauge and like it. I have several posts about it on here.

She doesn't need a 12 gauge slug gun, 20 will work fine, and from what I read it might even be a bit more accurate. These guns are bit heavy, but handle recoil very well. Perfect rifle for her. Unless you are doign drives or a lot of walking.

Paul

Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM

My wife is about 5'2, I already tried to tell her that a 20 gauge would be more accurate and maybe have a better range, but she wants to use what Ive got. It doesnt even really need to be a slug gun becauseI shoot a Brenneke Rottweil 3/4 oz riffled slug which is deadly accurate out of my smooth bored model 500's up to about 100 yards
Old 10-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Thank you for the links but I am really trying to find something in bolt action or pump,I already have a youth size 20 and 12 ga single which work fine for her now but I am looking for a more practical all around hunting gun that will work for pheasant, squirel, rabit, and provide a quick follow up shot when needed.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 PM

Mossberg 500 youth model then. You might even be able to to get a combo model with both a smooth bore and cantilever rifled slug barrel. See if you can find a gun shop that carries the youth models in stock and let her shoulder one. I looked at the mossberg 500 and remington 870's. I liked the 500 better as far as fit goes. I looked at a browning pump that was pretty nice as well, but it was a bit too much for me and too pretty to hunt with. I think it also had a bottom eject which I don't care for much.

And like I said, the mossberg has a ported 12 gauge barrel. It helps a little with recoil, but worked great at reducing muzzle flip.

You can also get a .50 muzzle loader barrel for it.

By the way, I am 5'3" and weigh around 120-130 lbs. I had the youth model and bought an extended modified choke and a hastings turkey choke for it. I also put the True Glo clamp on fiber optic rifle sights on mine. It comes stock with twin beads though. I could go from bunny/pheasant to turkeys in a few minutes by swapping chokes and ammo. And they come with a IC, modified and full choke so you could shoot the brenneke's out of it as well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3163656

http://www.mossberg.com/bantam_models.htm

Paul
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 PM

thanks again for the links i will have to check the mossberg website when i get home because i am at work and the firewall wont let me go to mossberg.com. that bantam is a nice gun if i buy her one i might have to buy me one too
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM

It's just a 500 with different furniture is all. And it can all be changed if you want to make it fit a full sized person.

They have knew one out called the super bantam or something like that. When you look at the site check it out. It's all camo and has an adjustable stock on it. Looks pretty cool. I have not seen one a store though and don't have a clue what they go for.

Paul
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM

to make it fit a full size person, thats funny thanks ill look into it