Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good buy or no

Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 AM

Default good buy or no

bought a mossberg 500 this weekend it came with a scope, 3 chokes and 2 barrels one for deer/slug and other for shotgun paid 279.00 on sale was this a good price....
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: good buy or no

ORIGINAL: GREEK HUNTER

bought a mossberg 500 this weekend it came with a scope, 3 chokes and 2 barrels one for deer/slug and other for shotgun paid 279.00 on sale was this a good price....
The Mossberg 500 is a plain-jane, simple pump action shotgun. There's nothing fancy about it in any way, yet the people I've known who had one were satisfied with it for casual hunting. It is serviceable, and should do well for you. I especially like the tang safety feature, which is better than what you fiond on most other pump shotguns.

The military issues them, so they must be up to their demands.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GREEK HUNTER

Doesn't sound too bad, my model 500 has been a work horse. I'd love to have a one with pretty wood and all the bells and whistles, but I'd also never subject it to the field conditions that sometimes happen when it rains or snows or is muddy or any other of 100 things you encounter while hunting sometimes.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:57 PM

Sounds pretty good to me. I bought a 500 youth model a few years ago and it was 254 out the door. And that was not with a slug barrel or anything.

Paul
Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 PM

Although I havent priced a new 500 recently. I can tell you that my 500 has proved itself time and again. I bought it 20yrs ago, paid 35 dollars for it, it looked real bad but worked fine. I cleaned it up some, and since used it for years, NEVER had a problem with it, shot tons of game. Recently bought a rifled slug barrel for it to hunt deer here in NY, was suprised at the accuracy, shoots perfect. So if nothing else, you can plan on years of reliable service with this gun, congrats on your purchase.