Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Got two more ready

Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Got two more ready

I went to the range today to check a few more rifles before our seasons start. I had the scope off of my 25-06 for a good cleaning so I put it back on and checked the Zero. I loaded the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips and chronograhed them at 3056 fps. I used this load last year with good results. I fired a three shot group @ 1 1/4 inch. It groups this load better @ 2900 fps but I will finish this box out before I do any changing.

I shot a three shot group with the Browning Light Weight composite Stalker. As usuall it shot well under an inch with the 150 grain Nosler Partitions. I shot two Mule deer with it last year. Both dropped in their tracks. This one is a 308. The just clocked @ 2729 fps. One more grain of powder gets them to 2795 but the groups open up just a tad then.

I then shot the sporterized 6.5x55 with 120 grain Bulk Corlokts. They shot into a one inch group which is the best I can do with the targets I had as the old 4X World class scopes crosshairs cover to much of the target to center it well. I do best with this scope just shooting at a blank white paper plate. These were loaded to 2700 fps. That old world class scope has been on that rifle for about 22 years. I have never had to touch the adjustments unless I changed bullet weights. This may be it last year on the 6.5 because my old eyes don't do to well with a 4X scope. I will put it on my 357 NEF rifle.

Still have a bit of work to do on the 7mm-08. I am not real happy with the factory load I am trying. I have some 140 grain Ballistic tips and some 120 Sierra Pro-Hunter bullets . I will have to load some of these to try.

The 270 is ready!!! I quess that should be enough rifles for one season.I will be going for Moose and Black Bear in Sask. next year. This year is a light schedule year. I did Muzzle loader Elk last year.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 PM

Default RE: Got two more ready

Gee - I thought I was bad. Get all these guns dialed in and ready for the field . . . and them lament over which one take out on a given day. Kind of like reaching in the golf bag . . . lets' see; 3 wood or 2 iron?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 PM

almost too many choices.better than too little .
when does your rifle season start ?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

November 12th. I have six tags but could get four more. I had Eight last year. We use a lot of wild meat. My grown kids like it but they don't hunt. I quess I can't count either, thats three I checked out today.

The 270 will get the first outing, I want to try out those Federal Fusions. We have all Mule deer where I hunt. The big grain fed onesYUM YUM.

Roskoe. Heck if it works for golfers, why not us hunters.