Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Shotgun

Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Default First Shotgun

Im wanting to purchase a shotgun for the first time this year, i have only rifle hunted 2 times in Kalkaska, MI. This would be my first gun purchase and im not sure what exactly i should be looking for and was hoping someone could throw out some tips on brands, scopes, or whatever you think i would find useful in getting setup. I will be hunting in lower Michigan near the Jackson area on the edge of a 10 acre lot with corn on 3 sides, and most likely from a treestand if that info helps at all.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Default RE: First Shotgun

if you're not lookin to spend a lot of money I'd go with a Remington 870 in a 12 gauge. They're workhorses for sure and I believe you can get them with rifled and smoothbore combos. I'm assuming you're hunting deer mainly, but this would also have you coverd with turkeys, or any upland game.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I love my Remington 870. I use it on rabbits, turkeys, and partridge. My state allows rifles, but my friend uses a shotgun in his homestate and the Remington rifled barrel is very accurate, I had no problems around 75-100 yards with it scoped.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:38 PM

I live near jackson, Adrian actually. I would suggest a H&R Ultra deluxe in 12 or 20 gauge. If you get the 20 guage you would be able to swap different barrels for birds and small game.

The ultras are a bit heavy, but they are pretty accurate and handle recoil well. If you were going to do drives it would get a bit heavy. But for stand or blind hunting they are great. I have the 12 guage model with a 1.75-4x32 bushnell trophy on it. You can get them for between $220 and $280 dollars depending on how nice you want it to look.

Inline Muzzle Loaders are pretty popular around here. I have one of these as well. That is what I used before this year. With the proper load they are very accurate and reliable out to at least 100 yards. Twice that sometimes if you play with them enough. A little late in the game for that though if you want something for this season. You will even need some time to find the right ammo with a shotgun if you get one.

If you live in the area I can suggest a few shops that are great and I love dealing with.

Schupbach's Sporting Goods Web Site
Address: 141 W Pearl St, Jackson, MI 49201 Phone:(517) 782-8418

Johnson's Sporting Goods
Address: 3654 N Adrian Hwy, Adrian, MI 49221 Phone:(517) 265-2545

Cleland's Outdoor World
(419) 865-4713

The above is in Ohio just outside of Swanton on Airport hwy.

Schupbach's is awsome, and it's right there in jackson. I do most of my archery releated shopping there. I have bought two bows from them.

Johnson's is right down the road from me and is a nice place as well. I have purchased several guns from them including the slug gun I mentioned above.

All of these shops are family owned and ran with gunsmiths on sight. They have good values and a great knowledge of what works for your needs.

There is also Cabelas not far away and a gander mountain in toledo not far away. There might be one in michigan close too? I have had pretty good luck with those as well.

Here is a link to a thread on my slug gun.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1156994&mpage=1&key=H%26R%2cUltr a��

Good luck,
Paul
Old 10-13-2005, 06:28 PM

I recommend the Benelli Nova. About the same price as a 870 but less malfunctions or jamming. My friend and I got shotguns for christmas, mine a Benelli his a 870. He has lots of problems with his, but mine has never done a thing wrong. I like the synthetic stock too,weather resistance is a good thingeven if it doesn't look the greatest.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:34 AM

870 jamming, malfunctions? have you shot one?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:23 AM

I had my 870 jam once. LOL. I got excited after shooting a doe, my first deer, and I didn't pull the slide back all the way, and I got two shells in the chamber, but that was my fault. Since then, I have shot THOUSANDS of rounds through it I'm sure and it works perfectly. The stock looks like garbage, because I've hunted hard with it, but I would recommend an 870 to anyone looking for a pump 12 gauge. They are excellent!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

870's are some of the best pump shotguns around especially for abusing and using. Mine is holding up great to the abuse I put on it and i've never had a problem with jamming or anything else.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM

The nova's are nice shotguns. I personally think they are butt ugly, but they have a smooth action. The ones I looked at were a bit noisy as well but I hear that is an easy fix.

They are also a bit more expesive than the mossberg and 870's field grade guns. Not to mention the barrels and parts are more expensive. He is looking for something to deer hunt with, so he will be wanting a rifled barrel most likely. From what I understand the barrels for these things are 300+ dollars. He could get another gun for that price. And there is no need for the 3 1/2 inch capacity.

Now if I was looking for a dedicated turkey gun?

I have owned a mossberg and know plenty that have 870's, never seen one jam yet unless it was shortstroked.

I think for a deer gun one of the break opens or a bolt action savage would be better. Of course a 870 or 500 combo with a cantilever scope mount barrel would work well too. The triggers just are not as nice for rifle type shooting.

Paul
Old 10-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i own the Benelli Nova in 12 guage! It is one sweet shootin gun

Quick Reply: First Shotgun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.