Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun choke question

Old 10-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Default shotgun choke question

Does anyone know what type of choke the mossberge 835 has? All I know is its apretty tight pattern. And does different chokes really make a difference? I have used the same gun with same choke for 6 years and never thought about getting another one till my buddysaid my choke stinks a few days ago!! The hunting I do with the gun is duck and goose and a little dove hunting.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shotgun choke question

Your choke only stinks if you can't kill birds with it! My 835 came with a set of four tubes. If yours screw out you should be able to takethe tubeout and it will be engraved with whatever choke it is.If yours doesn't have screw in tubes, thechoke will be printed on the barrel. Jim
Old 10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shotgun choke question

Yes the choke in a shotgun will definetly make a differance in your ability to hit flying targets. Typical chokes that come with a shotgun are cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, and full. And then there are chokes that fall in between and around those with regards to the ammount of constriction they have.

The more open a choke the larger pattern it will produce. The more constricted the choke the tighter the pattern will be.

Say you are hunting low and flast flying doves. You would want a fairly open choke such as a skeet or improved cylinder. If you are hunting decoying ducks where shots wild be a little farther out then you may want to choose a slightly tighter choke such as a modified or improved modified. If you are hunting passing geese then you may want a full choke.

Basically the farther out the target the tighter the choke you want to use in your gun. The faster the target is moving and/ or the closer it is the more open you would want the choke.