Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby??

Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Weatherby??

My mom has asked me to help her track down a rifle. She wants an original Weatherby, not a Vanguard, Mk4, Mk5, whatever. She met him back in the late '70s and has been facinated by his guns/cartridges since. She wants it chambered in .257 Weatherby. If anyone has any clue where to begin looking for this, please help! She is well aware that this is going to cost her a small fortune, but that's the gun she wants.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weatherby??

Is she looking for a weatherby made on a Mauser action?....I believe the first Weatherbys were on Belguim FN actions.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:42 AM

I guess that's what she's looking for. I just know that she doesn't want one of the newer ones. I'll call her later and find out for certain.

I just talked to her and she wants one built on the mauser action.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 01:42 PM

You can purchase FN style commerical mauser actions from the charles Daly company.They are made in Yugoslavaia are are of great quality in materials and craftsmanship. I have 3 of them! The actiions alone run around $245 i believe now! Look up CD on the web site. The orginal WBY in this style actioins are hard to find and one will pay a good price for them.Why not start out with a NEW gun in that Wby cal and enjoy. And getting a good piece of wood for it. Micro-fit stocks,richards stocks ect. I do know about Wby,s i use to be there head gunsmith. Good luck. vangunsmith
Old 10-04-2005, 06:17 AM

That's what I'd do too, but she has her mind made up and won't budge!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post a "want to buy" in the gun list.

there's also classifieds associated with many forums and WTB ads work well

It's how you contact owners.

Be prepared for a deepening of the pockets however.

These things are not often allowed out of their safes.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:55 AM

If I read your post correctly she is wanting a Mark V Deluxe in .257? There are plenty around and the prices aren't "that crazy" if you look at enough of them. Auctionarms.com and Gunbroker.com always have plenty of Deluxes for sale. For a nice conditioned, 85% or better Deluxe the prices I have seen over the last couple of years have been in the $750-$850 on the lowside (for guns that where hunted and have a few scrapes and dings on it)too $1500 on the highside (for guns that look just like they came out of the box, plus remember brand new ones can be bought for just a couple hundred more!). I would budget $1200 for a decent one and hold out for the right one. For $1200-$1500 you can even find them with original Weatherby scopes atop them. I have noticed that Lazermarks seldom bring much more than standard Deluxes, some of the pre late 80s Lazermarks have some incredible wood on them and can be had very reasonably. Obviously the 300 is the most common caliber available with 270 and 7mms coming in in second place, but there are always several 257s around for the right price.

Good luck, at least your mother wants something half way reasonable and decently convenient to find.My mother has had melooking for 5 yearsfor just the right 68 Roadrunner, yellow, 383 4spd in excellent shape just like she had in 68. THAT is something nearly impossible to find regardless of price!

What we won't do for dear ol mom!!!
RA
Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

She would love this one!

[size=3 black’]Weatherby Rifles[/size]

Featured

(Pop Up)
Mark V Crown Custom 257 Wby
GA# 976597683

$6,499.00
Weatherby Mark V "Crown Custom" .257 Weatherby Magnum. This Rifle is 100% NIB and Unfired. Just Received this Magnificent Rifle, They are Currently on a 2-Year Lead Time So Don’t Let This One Pass By. Features: Claro Walnut, Stock Inlays, Crown Engraving, Crown Carving and Much More. The Pictures Speak for Themselves. You Must Visit Our Websi
Seller: HENDERSHOT’S SPORTING GOODS 241/0
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 301 GA Sales: 241

Old 10-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Maybe this one?

[size=3 black’]Weatherby Rifles[/size]

(Pop Up)
Weatherby Mark V Deluxe .257
GA# 976577735

$1,775.00
Weatherby Mark V Deluxe .257 Weatherby new in the box. Beautiful Claro walnut, raised comb, Monte Carlo stock,Rosewood forend tip and pistol grip cap with maplewood spacers and diamond inlay. Fineline checkering provides an additional custom touch.One-piece forged fluted bolt with three gas ports. Nine locking lugs for 54 degree bolt lift—the sho
Seller: BETWEEN THE WALLS GUNS & ACCES
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 432 GA Sales: 92

Old 10-04-2005, 10:14 AM

She prefers an original Weatherby, not the Mk4/Mk5...I think I found her one this morning complete with original Weatherby scope. She's going to check it out and see if that's what she's after. If it is, maybe she'll let me shoot it when I go out to visit/hunt elk in Nov. I'd love to shoot a really nice rifle like that just in my life. I can't afford to have those kinds of toys, so I drool and buy what I can swing...Ruger, Savage, Charles Daly...Thanks for all the input so far.

Quick Reply: Weatherby??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.