Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CZ 550 African Safari Rifle 375H&H

Old 10-02-2005, 06:48 AM

Default CZ 550 African Safari Rifle 375H&H

Does anyone own one of these rifles? For the money it seems like the best big rifle deal on the market, and the features seem great too.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:55 AM

Default RE: CZ 550 African Safari Rifle 375H&H

I have looked at these as well and I remember a review of it by one of the gun mags, where it got very high ratings across the board
Old 10-02-2005, 09:02 AM

My last two rifle purchases, a 416 Rigby and a 458 Lott, have been CZ 550 Safari Magnums. IMO, they offer an outstanding value. Double square bridge mauser action, huge claw extractor, Controlled Round Feed, 5 rounds in the magazine (for a 375HH), field strippable (with no tools) bolt assembly, two option trigger allowing for two different pull weights at your disposal, safari express iron sights.

In the realm of DGR's, NO production rifle is truly ready for "defend your life action" without a trip to the gunsmith. The CZ is no different --- have a gunsmith "slick up" the action and perhaps touch up the feeding rails and ramp so it "flows like butter" and now you are way ahead of rifles that will cost you twice as much.

They are not a rifle for folks that need to follow the crowd, though; because they are different. IMHO, they are wonderfully different.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own one but have read many testamonials and they are both positive and negative. This is true of just about all guns today. You read both stories and one must determine some truth in the mess.

I personally would buy a M-70 in the .375 H&H but I doubt that the CZ would be a mistake. If I wasn't such a fan of the M-70 I'd be looking to CZ for sure.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there any difference, other than the stock, between the American Safari Magnum and the Safari Magnum?
I went to the CZ site, looked over the textual descriptions between the 2 models and couldn't find any difference except for the stock configuration.
And as far as the stock configuation goes....is there an advantage to either one???....
Old 10-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The stock configurations are purely traditional.....traditional european and traditional American.

I doubt that there's any advantage other than visual.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 AM

8mm

To my knowledge the steel is the same and only the stock is different. Advantages/disadvantages really depend on you, your body shape, which feels best to you, and which allows you to handle recoil the best.

If you are just looking for a beauty contest, then the American version wins hands down, EXCEPT she's is kind of chunky and bulky when you touch her, pretty otherwise though. I personally prefer the Lux/Hogback/European stock --- they fit me perfectly and feel better in my arms, they distribute recoil better (for me), and they are a more trim stock, and they have a schobel (sp) at the stock fore-end just like an M-70. M-70's and CZ's, I have both and like both.

BTW and FWIW, regarding more "mid-range rifles", I handled a "standard"CZ American 550 at Cabelas. This rifle has a bit smaller scale than the Safari Magnums and I though it had anAmerican stock, I found thisacceptablesince the need for handlingrecoil is much reduced and the needto be able to switch overto iron sights with the gun still pointing well isless of an issue. This one was chambered for 30-06 and my, oh my, oh my,nothing else I handled(Rems, Wins, Tikkas, Brownings, Vanguards,etc.) even came close to feel and pointing and substance of that rifle, many of the others felt more like toys in comparison.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Do these have the "pull back to fire" safety like the model 527 CZ rifles? Having a difficult time with this bass ackwards lever on my .223. Otherwise, this is a great gun for the money. Roskoe.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vapo and ELK,

Thanks for the info. I thought it was just a stock difference but it never hurts to ask. I will be inthe market (next 1-2 years) to buy a rifle with a significant jump up in utility. I have decided that either the .375 H & H or the 9.3 X 62 would serve me well. I own a bunch of rifles in the smaller bore range from .243 up to 8mm and I could honestly dispense with most of them and keep only 3 of my aresenal and still be covered without so much overlap (but I will never lose any of them).

But it is in the upper ranges of the mid and large bores that I have nothing in the cabinets.

The .375 H & H seems to be a caliber that stepsup (for me)significantly in power and recoil but not so much that I feel I couldn't handle it with some instruction and practice. But I want to make sure that whatever I select is a known commodity since I don't usually shell out $700-$1000 for rifles.
I know that the CZ 550American in the 9.3 X 62 is MSRP $250.00 less than either of the Magnum models. But it comes with no sights.
Also, the recoil for the 9.3 X 62 is listed as a little lighter in the recoil tables. HOWEVER, I also noticed that the American is 2 lbs lighter than either of the Safari Magnum models, so the recoil on the less heavy recoiling 9.3 may actually feel worse being that the rifle is lighter.

Either way, after doing my reading and asking and thinking, ...I'm leaning heavily towards the CZ rifles.

Old 10-02-2005, 04:03 PM

What do you guys think the difference will be recoil wise with the American stock or the European stock? Its hard for me to find a place to handle these rifles before I buy them. There just isn't much call for the .375 H&H in New Jersey lol. Maybe if I lived in Alaska I would find a better selection of .375s on the shelf. I am in love with the quality and price of this rifle just looking at it online. I am about a cooter hair away from ordering it lol.

Quick Reply: CZ 550 African Safari Rifle 375H&H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.