Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommending a Deer Rifle...

Old 09-27-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Recommending a Deer Rifle...

I posted this in the deer hunting forum, but I guess I will post it here too to generate a few more responses.

A friend of mine, who is a lifetime New Jersey shotgun hunter, and knows nothing about rifles, asked me to recommend a good deer hunting rifle for him to buy. This rifle is going to be strictly for whitetails, and I would imagine at distances inside 300 yards. I tried to think of a rifle that was easy to carry, easy to shoot, reliable, and not too terribly expensive. This is what I came up with. Any input is appreciated.

The rifle will be a Winchester model 70 classic featherweight, .270 Winchester. It has a 22 inch barrel, and at a little over seven pounds it could be one of the nicest looking rifles I have ever seen. Sitting on top of this rifle will be a matte finished Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36mm scope with a duplex reticle. The scope will be mounted with two piece Leupold bases, and a set of low profile standard Leupold rings, and will sport a set of Butler Creek flip open scope caps. To finish up the package, I'm adding a classic Triple K military style brown leather sling with heavy duty Outdoor Connection Talon swivels to accomidate the 1 1/4" width.

After putting so much thought into this I'm tempted to get one for myself too. I know that it won't do anything that my 30-06 Springfield doesn't do just as well or better, but it looked so pretty in my head lol.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:27 AM

Default RE: Recommending a Deer Rifle...

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade
..... This rifle is going to be strictly for whitetails, and I would imagine at distances inside 300 yards. I tried to think of a rifle that was easy to carry, easy to shoot, reliable, and not too terribly expensive. This is what I came up with. .....
The rifle will be a Winchester model 70 classic featherweight, .270 Winchester. It has a 22 inch barrel, and at a little over seven pounds it could be one of the nicest looking rifles I have ever seen. Sitting on top of this rifle will be a matte finished Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36mm scope with a duplex reticle. The scope will be mounted with two piece Leupold bases, and a set of low profile standard Leupold rings, and .....
Heck of an outfit - I'll take one! Actually, I've been thinking along very similar lines myself. I'm considering the Featherweight Classic with stainless steel barrel/action, and chambered to 6.5x55 (I already have a
270Win.). Scope could be a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20mm (I have an extra one), or maybe a VXIII 1.75-6x 32mm. Two piece stainless bases, and blued rings (all Leupold, of course), and the scopes would be matte finish with Duplex reticle.
Here's a link to the stainless Featherweight (available in 270Win.);
Link: http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=966&cat=001C

My 270Win. is the Remington 700 LSS Mtn. rifle, and has a Leupold Vari-X II, 2-7x scope mounted.
Link: http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700mtnls.htm

You've definitly conjured up a real nice package there for your friend.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:21 AM

I thought about this one for a long time, and I couldn't think of a rifle that would be more at home under any deer hunting circumstances, and that would do for other game if the opportunity ever came up.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

good thinking
Old 09-27-2005, 06:45 AM

Savage Weather Warrior 25.06. Burris FullField II 3-9x40. All can be purchased for around 650$. Savage is a nice shooting gun.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a deerslayer to me , .270 win was voted most popular deer cartrige in guns & ammo
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

That would work fine but I would go with a Ruger 77 Mk II in 30-06 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 with Butler Creek flip open scope caps. Both my MK IIs (.223 and 300 WSM) will shoot .5 MOA.