Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

got my new gun and scope!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: got my new gun and scope!!!!!!!!!!!

Great combination! A quality recoil pad should help reduce recoil. That's the problem with todays lighter rifles. Less mass weight equals more felt recoil. Great for carrying, but not so good for target shooting. You'll never feel the recoil when you have that Nikon on a big buck.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

ill just hve to deal with the kick lol i havent got to sho tmy gun yet going tonight to get it mounted and bore sighted getting leupold rings and bases
Old 09-26-2005, 03:25 PM

How old are you? 16? Whats your body size?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Hey ryncam16 better watch StrutnBPS I think there might be some banjo music playing in the background.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:45 PM

Sigh,

From an earlier post regarding recoil.
The more you do, the better it works.
From the sound of things you better get the upper hand with this rifle or it is going to dominate you (bad).

** First make sure the stock is long enough that your thumb as you wrap it around the Wrist of the rifle is a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch from your nose/upper lip.

** Second, if it doesn't have a quality recoil pad on it like a Pachmayer or Simms pitch it and replace it OR if you need to add a little length to get nost/upper lip clearance then just slip a Pachmayer or Simms "slip over" recoil pad and you'll get your length and be double recoil padded.

**Third, If the rifle is too light for caliber (or you are to sensitive), then add weight to it.

** Fourth, in terms of getting a friendly introduction to your new baby, make your first shots with managed recoil ammo (and NOT the Federal Hi Energy180 gr. stuff).

** Fifth in terms of introduction is to make your firstshots standing up WITH NO BENCH REST. This is not a accuracy sesson, that comes later, this is a "get introduced" session. [Read "No Surprises" --- surprises are bad]. For the first two shots just look OVER the scope and put the rounds somewhere into the back drop, then you can look thru the scope later. Get a "gut feel" for the report, the recoil, and the jump up, if any. This item MAY be over kill, but I don't know what you are used to or up for; hence it is better to go needlessly cautious and have a long "marriage" than to volunteer for the ever popular "school of hard knocks" and just jump in and hope for the best (the American standard).

** Sixth, when you do decide to sit down and bench rest assume an upright posture,NOT the heavy lean into it -go down on the table - pile drive the recoil intoyour face and down spine. Toss the screw jack aside (way to low even on high) get yourself 12 to 14 sand bags and sit with your stomach touching the bench and your back straight up and down - now you can roll with the recoil instead of getting hammered.

** Seventh, have a little talk with yourself:
-- Is there going to a major explosion just inches from my brain and face. Yes. Is that okay if I handle myself properly. Yes.
-- Is it natural for me to instictively and emotionally to "cower" with such an event taking place. Yes. As an intelligent animal, can I override my instincts to make happen what I want to happen for accurate and painless shooting. Yes, but it don't happen by accident.
-- Forbidden actions: If as you are pulling the trigger and the sear is starting to break you find yourself dreading the shot, closing your eyes, or oh just wishing it would end, then STOP, put the rifle on safe, set it down, look up and review the discussion with yourself that we've just had here. ABSOLUTELY refuse to take even a single shot under intimidation, if you can't mentally rally and do it right, then take our one of the gallery guns you have brought along and play with it pretending you are working with "the big boy". When you feel you "have your crap together" then revisit the big one. If you can't get it together that day then don't shoot. NEVER take a single shot under intimidation, let your new weapon know right from the start that you are the MASTER and it is the TOOL and that it will be your way or the highway. I cannot overemphasize this attitude enough. Once you "put your rifle in its place" then you can go on to a productive relationship, on the other hand let it get the upper hand and you are screwed unless you act quickly and decisively to prevail.

** Eighth, especially in the beginning, go to the range with a friend you trust who will single load the rifle for you when you are not looking. His job is to sometimes put a shell in (1/3) and sometimes not put a shell in (2/3). If you have ever flinched on a dry fire in front of a witness, then you know how absolutely embarrassing it can be. Having more dry-fires than real-fires will cause you to master the mental game in the early going. This exercise is possibly one of the most important techniques here because it doesn't allow you to lie to yourself (or others).

** Ninth, if you pay attention and do it right, then when the rifle fires you will have a fleeting picture in your mind for just a bit of where the cross hairs were at the moment of firing before recoil breaks the scene. You will know "good shot" or "bad shot" before you even look to see where you hit. Being able to do this is key to getting sharp and itonly happens if your eyes are open.

** Tenth, once youapproach the heavier 30-06 loadsthey just aren't gallery rifles anymore. Shooting lots of ammo isNOT the key. Having a good session, even if it is only a few shots IS THE KEY! Once you've done good, then stop and go play with something else and then go home. Reflect and recall what you saw, heard, felt, smelled, and tasted and replay it over and over. When you return to the bench (or what ever) EXPECT to pick up right where you left off.

I shoot cartridges from 22LR to 458Lott and that is the approach I used and the approach I have shared with others on this forum who have contacted me by email.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:38 PM

SCOTT,

Funny one. Never been into the ole rusty sheriff's badge.

Simply wondering those things to actually see if he should be shooting a 06' that kicks so bad.

I'm 5'9 240lbs and I get the hell kicked out of me with certain guns.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:11 AM

Good ryncam. I have hte same rifle as I said. You can take off the black hard rubber pad and put on a slip on pad (15 bucks or so) or you can get a patchmayr pad installed. Both these will help the felt recoil.
The prostaff is a decent cheap scope.
When you get the chance and funds, I would recommend upgrading to the Savage Acutrigger which is adjustable to 2 lbs ( I think) and is completely safe for with regards to dropping the rifle so it won't go off.
good luck this season.
okcmc
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is to buy and wear a Past recoil shoulder pad while practiceshooting at the bench. I wear mine for just about everything I shoot and it really works well. I have no problems shooting my .300 Weatherby Sako which has a hard rubber butt pad. I don't use it for hunting cause it's not needed there.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

i am 240 and im 6,1 and i am 16 in a week i shot my 30-06 about 24 times. my shoulder is sore but i can deal with it i had to sight it in even though it was "bore sighted" the guy said he put it a inch high at 25 yards but when i shot it. it was 4 inches high and 1 inch to the right so that made it a pain and befor i shot my 30-06 i sighted in my dads 30-30 got that right on it took 6 shots that didnt hurt at all. im realy thiking about a recoil pad now though pics should be coming tonight
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ryncam16

it didnt have the accutrigger but i can live with out it and im shooting 165 grain remington core lokt bullets it kicks like a $%^#& i had bought i recoil slip on but i couldnt get my head close enough to the scope so i brought it back ne ideas like i saw that remington had one that scred on but i dont no if it would fit if you know of somthing that would fit a savage model 111 let me know
I think it is HI VIZ that has a really soft fairly thick pad for the Savage. I like my Simms pad if I had seen the Hi Viz I would have went with it. You really should not have any problem with eye relief with a thicker pad if you are 6' 1" and 240.

PS: I went onto the Simms Vibration labs website and printed out the butt templets and matched a benelli pad (I believe) to the Savage stockand it fit pretty well. The shape is not a perfect match but you have to look to notice.