Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New member, same ol gun ?

Old 09-20-2005, 03:48 PM

Default New member, same ol gun ?

Sorry that this is probably a question you guys always get. As i am a new member and i need some opinions on what to buy. I thought i would join. With that said...

Icurrently have a 30-06 It has to much of a kick for me. There is no since in practicing when i get so nervous about the kick and I can't hit the target. I want a lighter gun to carry but i want enough power to kill a elk, with not such a big kick as a 30-06. There is also a relay that you can screw into the end of the barrel which takes away the kick BUT it is louder than heck i guess. The reasons that i'm looking for a new gun is because yes it's WAY to heavy to carry in the woods. What do you guys think?

I would like to get a gun in the next couple of weeks. I leave to go hunting in less than a month and i would like to practice with it before i get in the woods.

I have also posted this on a different forum i am registered at and alot of guys told me to get the Winchester 270.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New member, same ol gun ?

Z, Welcome to the forum!
I would suggest 6.5mmSwede, 7-08 or .308.
There are many hunters using the .270 on Elk and has alittle less
recoil than the .30-06, but the .300 has more than the .30-06...
Old 09-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to remember is a lighter gun will kick harder , given the same caliber and bullet weight , speaking of bullet weight , what are you shooting ? 150 grain loads for the 3006 arnt that bad , 180 grains have more kick . My personal pick would be at least a 270 for elk . 300 winmag would be a better choice , and yes a muzzelbrake will cut recoil but is loud .
Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

i bought my wife a rem model 7 in 260rem, it is a pleasure to shoot, it is a compact design, the same gun can be bought in 7mm-08, 308, not sure about this gun in a 270, i am kind of partial to the 7-08 and the 308 mainly because of bullet selection, ruger also makes a "compact" rifle great for smaller framed people, and for people that tree stand hunt,

best of luck, keith

oh yea!!! where are my manners

welcome to the forums
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 PM

I would also recommend the 7mm-08 or the 260 Rem. Either of those would fit the bill nicely.

And welcome to the boards!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:41 AM

Yea i use the 150 grain bullet.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and the warm welcome.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 AM
bigcountry

A 308win would fit your criteria nicely. Little less kick than a 30-06. Thinks that make a big difference is a nice recoil pad. Limbsaver, sims, several out there. Also, there is several reduced recoil loads out there. That would would fine for you.

A muzzlebreak works, but I don't like the loudness, that scares me more than the kick ever would. And its expensive to have one put on.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

How about trying some of the new managed recoil ammo?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

I would look into an autoloader in 308. The 308 is effective to approx. 250+ yards, has less recoil than an 06 and the autoloader will further reduce recoil. My recommendation would be a Browning "BAR Safari" with the Boss muzzle brake. Between the autoloader reducing recoil and Boss reducing recoil this should be a very low recoil combo. You will need hearing protection when shooting the Boss although the 308 in a 22" barrel will not be asloud as the magnum loads. This package should weight in at 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 pounds depending on the scope.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 PM

Wow so many suggestions! I hope i find something that fits me, and that i like.

Ridgerunner- i got your email. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: New member, same ol gun ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.